Thread: digiscoping?

Default digiscoping?

Have you tried digiscoping?

Last trip I did to Thailand I was blown away by the locals using their telescopes with cheap digital cameras when I couldn't get anything once things were out of range of my SLR gear. The quality wasn't bad either. I have a straight through swarovski and a canon 30D I'd like to have a go with but the connecting bracket is the hang up. There seem to be several about on the internet but some only work with "this" and others with "that". So it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of homework. Any suggestions?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: digiscoping?

I tried a bit of digiscoping with a 40D + 50mm lens and swarovski scope. To be honest i reckon its great for long distance getting something on 'film', but personally the quality still wasn't there for me compared to my 500mm lens etc. I know people getting good results from it but it does seem like you need the right camera and the right adaptors etc. I suggest doing some more net searching and finding a forum etc.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yes, I think there is a dedicated site about digi scoping, can't remember what its called though. They do get some good results don't they

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Digi scoping will often work better with the P&S style cameras, they're less prone to vignetting as the chip you are trying to cover is small. Remember the exit pupil on a scope at 20x is really quite small, it's about 3mm at 20 x 60. The P&S being so light are also easier to mount aimed into the eyepiece.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

5. Default Re: digiscoping?

Way back when I started photographing birds, I began with digiscoping as there was no way I could afford a superzomm, let alone a DSLR. As I only wanted the images to paint from back then, a bit of fuzziness wasn't a problem, so it was ideal. As it was, some of the shots weren't bad:

Considering it was a lousy day's weather and low light, being late spring on a heavily clouded day in Glasgow, it could have been worse. In the end, I made a clamp from a piece of aluminium strip with a 1/4" bolt that screwed into the camera base and had a remote shutter release cable that screwed into the top and an adaptor to fit it onto the end of my old Tasco 15-45x scope. That removed all the shake from pressing the shutter button manually on a tripod.
    It was fun at the time, but I probably wouldn't go back to it now.
    Cheers,

Tony
    http://www.tonykeenebirds.co.uk
    My birding language guide - "European Bird Names: A Translation Guide"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hello Mousehound,

Have to agree with Dave Stowe - I tried the digiscoping thing for some time but was constantly frustrated with light and sharpness issues. Ive no doubt it can work and Ive seen some great stuff but for me theres no substitute for the hard work of getting close enough to your subject with a good SLR and lens - though I will say it can be great for birds at a distance. It also makes taking images of active or in flight birds almost impossible.

Check out Andy Brights digiscoping site - loads of great info

Hope the digiscoping goes really well though and you get some great results

cheers

David Taylor
    Brisbane