Thread: Printing - Help!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Printing - Help!

OK. So I sent off five or six test photos to be printed and while the results were OK, they were enlightening. The photos came out significantly darker than what was on my screen. I imagine my monitor needs to be calibrated, but aside from that, what else can I do to improve the situation? So far I am thinking the following:

- Calibrate my monitor (Spyder?)
    - Consistent ambient lighting from when I calibrate to when I edit for printing.
    - Converting photos from ProPhoto to sRGB to see the changes.

That's it. Any other recommendations? What are the optimum lighting conditions? I read somewhere about using profiles from the printer themselves. What exactly does this mean? Is that referring to the colourspace?

I'm lost in a sea of jargon and time consuming computer issues.

Thanks guys and gals!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Printing - Help!

Yeah, happens a lot. Not sure if you need a moniter calibrator, images always look brighter on screen than when they are printed.
    My advice would be to simply turn the brightness of your monitor down to about halfway or under and then process the shots you want printed.
    This should give a more accurate representation of how the image will look when printed If not...then start worrying about jargon

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Yeah the first thing to do when calibrating your monitor is set the brightness around halfway as Paul said. The most important thing is to make sure that you are matching the output colour space. No point sending an image embedded with a Prophoto colour space to a printer that works in sRGB.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

This is a pretty complicated area. To get consistent results it helps to have a colour managed workflow. This means your monitor is profiled (using a hardware device like a spyder). You need to use editing software that you can colour manage in (like photoshop) You then go to your paper manufacturers website and download the profile for the specific paper type and your specific printer type. In photoshop you then load that profile and you can soft proof your images for printing by using the icc profile for the printer and paper you are using. When you are editing the image you can impose the profile and the screen will simulate how the print will come out on paper. You then adjust the image before printing to suit your taste.

David is right, a print is never going to be the same as looking at a screen but the softproofing does give you a pretty good idea of how things will turn out and after a little practise you will get the hang of it and get consistent results.

The colour spaces dictate the gamut of colours that are available. Generally you are best shooting and editing in the biggest colour space available which is ProPhoto. However the printer itself won't be able to reproduce all the colour in that space and your softproofing will pick this up and you can make it show the out of gamut colours. It will automatically adjust colours out of gamut to what it considers nearest in its available gamut.

So basically if your colour managed workflow breaks down at any of these steps you probably won't get consistent print results.

Brett