Thread: Sigma 120-400mm

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Sigma 120-400mm

Are there any members who use Sigma lenses for birding, I currently have a K20 Pentax and would like a long zoom. I am considering changing to Canon but if sharp results can be obtained from the Sigma zooms I would stay with Pentax as I am happy with the Pentax body. Andy.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Sigma 120-400mm

I don't think I have seen anyone using that particular lens on here. Plenty of people use the 150-500 or the 170-500 (I think).
    Here is a search thread that will bring up some posts with sigma equipment.
    I would highly recommend Canon equipment if you think you are really going to get into bird photography but if you think it may just be a passing interest then sigma stuff is pretty good too with great value for money

http://www.birdingoz.com.au/forums/s...&submit=Search

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I think Lucky once used a Sigma zoom something like this one?!?!

From my experience I would say wait, save your money and make one correct purchase. If you jump into a lens because it's cheap chances are you're going to regret it and in the end that will just cost you more money.

My 2c

C.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I used to have the sigma 135-400. It was the predecessor to the 120-400mm. I know of a guy who bought the 120-400 as he thought he would try bird photography with me, but he sold it after one outing because he didn't have the patience for our pastime.

It does have OS (Sigma version of IS) which may help. My 135-400 didn't have it and when trying to photograph bush birds I spent the whole time scaring birds with the noise of my lens trying to get focus on small subjects. My keeper rate was average at best.

I agree with saving a little more if you stay with the Pentax and getting something like the Sigma 50-500 if you have the muscles to heft it
    If you go Canon or Nikon then a whole new world of quality lenses will appear before you.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Here's a review of the 135-400,

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/329-s ... rt--review

Reports it is soft at the long nd, just where you want sharpness. Seems to be quite common with these budget zooms.

Sigma makes a 100-300mm f4 which is pretty good, ($1660 at digidirect) review on above site available. Pentax also make a 300mm f4, which should be pretty decent. Combine that with a 1.4x and you'll have a good combo.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thank you for your reply's, the extra weight of the Sigma is a concern, having used a 100 - 400 L which is 400 grms lighter, even that gets heavy after a while.

I think a change from Pentax is the way to go, their options for lenses are very restricted, Canon having a much better choice.

Andy.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by andy123
    Thank you for your reply's, the extra weight of the Sigma is a concern, having used a 100 - 400 L which is 400 grms lighter, even that gets heavy after a while.

I think a change from Pentax is the way to go, their options for lenses are very restricted, Canon having a much better choice.

Andy.
    A change to Canon is probably a good idea if funds allow. When choosing my first camera, the lens choices were what made me go with Canon. Nikon is catching up, but Canon still has the cake and have more affordable high-end lenses than Nikon
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog