Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - Processing RAW

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default HELP - Processing RAW

Hi all,

I usually use a 1D2n but wanted to compare the autofocus of a 50D which I borrowed for last weekends pelagic off Port MacDonnell
    Loaded the 50D programme onto the computer and downloaded the images. I can see the images in Zoombrowser but when I go "Edit" ..... "Process Raw Images", no image appears. The prefix on the images is IMG rather than the usual E but the file extension is still CR2. Any suggestions????????

cheers
    Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: HELP - Processing RAW

I'm assuming that you installed the software that came with the 50D? Otherwise the older ones might not support the file format. I think the default image prefix for the xxD range is IMG, I think my 40D had that. Otherwise can't think what it might be. Any techheads out there?
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

I can only think of the same as Tobias. I'd suggest trying a newer version of the Canon software as the older version is likely incompatible with files created with newer cameras. Oh and yep, IMG is the normal prefix.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by rob drummond
    Hi all,

I usually use a 1D2n but wanted to compare the autofocus of a 50D which I borrowed for last weekends pelagic off Port MacDonnell
    Loaded the 50D programme onto the computer and downloaded the images. I can see the images in Zoombrowser but when I go "Edit" ..... "Process Raw Images", no image appears. The prefix on the images is IMG rather than the usual E but the file extension is still CR2. Any suggestions????????

cheers
    Rob
    Hi Rob,

I'm thinking along the same lines as Tobias & Rich. Before I got CS4 I used DPP to convert my raw files from my 40D. I never used Zoombrowser.

Are you sure that you definitely loaded the DPP software that came with the 50D?
    If you already have a version of DPP on your machine it might not have installed the newer version correctly.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Yes it's the most frustrating part of RAW! Even though they are .CR2 files they are totally different and you have to have the latest RAW convertor in whichever program you use. This is the big reason behind Adobe trying to get people to switch to a common .DNG (digital negative) format.
    The worst part is that Adobe get to a point where you have to get the newer version of Photoshop etc in order to get the latest ACR version.
    As the others have mentioned - using the latest version of DPP that came with the camera will do the trick.
    What version of Photoshop do you use Rob?
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe
    The worst part is that Adobe get to a point where you have to get the newer version of Photoshop etc in order to get the latest ACR version.
    Yep, that is complete BS!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the advice everyone. I installed the software that came with the 50D (or at least I thought I did). It's Zoombrowser Ex and it's certainly different to the Zoombrowser I'm used to when you get to the Raw Image Task page. When I try to Process Raw Images they come up as the correct files etc but no actual image on the screen. I tried some of my old files and they work fine. I think I'll get the CD from school and try to re-install it.

David - I use Photoshop CS Version 8

cheers
    Rob

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Might be worth downloading a trial version of the latest photoshop or Lightroom?
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi all,

Reloaded the software for the 50D with the same result. I can see all the images in Zoombrowser but a blank screen comes up when I want to "process raw images". The file name is there but no image.

cheers
    Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Why aren't you using DPP?

Did a google search and a suggested fix (for a similar issue with 400D) was to download the latest version of Zoombrowser from Canon's website.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Geoff, Excuse my ignorance - what is DPP?

cheers
    Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

DPP is Digital Photo Professional, the standard RAW processing software that comes with Canon cameras. I use it for editing/processing all my RAW images...
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by callocephalon
    DPP is Digital Photo Professional, the standard RAW processing software that comes with Canon cameras. I use it for editing/processing all my RAW images...
    As Tobias has just stated and you should have received the DPP software CD with the camera.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years.
    With my 1D2n I would:
    1. put the compact flash in the hard drive and download the images in a DCIM folder.
    2. open the folder and there was a 101EOS1D or similar folder which I would open
    3.This would open and I would have a whole sheet of tiles
    4. Double click on one tile and the whole lot would open in Zoombrowser
    5. In zoombrowser I would select images and select Edit....process Raw Images at which point they would appear in Raw Image Task where I would make any necessary adjustments before saving them as tiff files to work on in photoshop at a later stage.
    I checked the software and DPP has been loaded

This time I've downloaded the 50D software and then tried to follow the same procedure but no results

cheers
    Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by rob drummond
    Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years.
    With my 1D2n I would:
    1. put the compact flash in the hard drive and download the images in a DCIM folder.
    2. open the folder and there was a 101EOS1D or similar folder which I would open
    3.This would open and I would have a whole sheet of tiles
    4. Double click on one tile and the whole lot would open in Zoombrowser
    5. In zoombrowser I would select images and select Edit....process Raw Images at which point they would appear in Raw Image Task where I would make any necessary adjustments before saving them as tiff files to work on in photoshop at a later stage.
    I checked the software and DPP has been loaded

This time I've downloaded the 50D software and then tried to follow the same procedure but no results

cheers
    Rob
    The workflow described is OK but try this.

1. Open DPP (ie: double click on the icon on your desk top or if you do not have an icon find the .exe file & double click to start DPP)
    2. In DPP navigate to the folder where you saved the downloaded images
    3. DPP will open the images in a tile format. I used to do a select all then view the images one by one marking for deletion and rating keepers
    From memory press the spacebar for a fullscreen view.
    4. Perform some RAW conversion
    5. Save as a TIFF file and then open in PS. (Or just save as the TIFF and open in PS later) you can do that as a batch process.

Hope this helps Or if you have ACR bundled with you version of PS see if it recognises the 50D .CR2 file format.

Good Luck.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome