Thread: Canon v's Kenko Pro 300 1.4 x Teleconverters

Default Canon v's Kenko Pro 300 1.4 x Teleconverters

I'm looking at buying a 1.4 X TC to mount onto my Canon EF 500mm f4 IS USM, but not sure my best option yet.

From what I've read the Canon 1.4 x TC has very limited auto focus on the 500 f4, which may be a pain for my dying eyesight, manual focus is pretty hit and miss for me.....not sure if this applies to the Kenko Pro 300 1.4 x TC. I would like to think the Canon TC delivers better image quality optically, but not so sure that it does to be honest, and is double the price of the Kenko Pro 300 TC's.

I have been using the Kenko Pro 300 series 1.4 X TC and 2 x TC on my 300 f2.8 with excellent results and they enable full auto focus function, metering etc. The only problem I have found with the Kenko is the occassional hiccup with communication between lens and camera contacts, a simple jiggle of the connections usually enables it. The Kenko's worked fine, no softening of images with the 1.4 x TC at all, although some increae in CA, and did like the fact it retained full functionality. The Canon TC appeals though as it should have no trouble communicating with camera body and/or 500 f4, except possible loss of full AF...and the price is questionable in relation to value for money.

Be curious to hear peoples thoughts on which choice is better overall
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Canon v's Kenko Pro 300 1.4 x Teleconverters

HI Colin, Lucky or Dan did a review comparison of these a while back - have a search through the site you might find it. I think one of the factors was the quality difference in build quality - none of that communication error.
    I'm not sure what the issue with limited AF is that you are talking about? Mine has full AF. Can you explain what you mean?
    I use it almost all the time on my 500. Yes it is slower than without it - especially in low light.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Stick with the Canon in my opinion mate, you will most likely be surprised at the AF capabilities of it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe
    HI Colin, Lucky or Dan did a review comparison of these a while back - have a search through the site you might find it. I think one of the factors was the quality difference in build quality - none of that communication error.
    I'm not sure what the issue with limited AF is that you are talking about? Mine has full AF. Can you explain what you mean?
    I use it almost all the time on my 500. Yes it is slower than without it - especially in low light.
    From what I have googled some reviews indicate there may be some AF issues with the canon 1.4 TC, in as much it will only AF using one focus point, cant be focused using multi selectionpoints, that may not be a problem however.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

The one AF point you will probably find is just related to the max aperture as you lose 1 stop efffectively making your f4 lens an f5.6 lens.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

"So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Colin,

I use a Canon 1.4x TC very often with my 500 f/4 and there are no AF issues except for a small decrease in speed in lowlight – nothing major though as one has to remember that the AF speed on the bare 500 is very fast to begin with.

The issues you are referring to are with regards to minimum aperture of which you will have no problems given the 500 is a f/4. Basically, on Canon APS-C sensors, you cannot AF if the widest aperture is f/8 or smaller. So, putting a 1.4x TC on a 400mm f/5.6 on a 7D would mean you would be stuck with manual focus unless you taped the pins (this does allow AF, but extremely slow). With the 500, your widest aperture becomes f/5.6 which still renders AF on the cam, so all focus points will be available (otherwise you wouldn’t be able to use all the focus points when using a bare 400 f/5.6).

On ASP-H cams such as the MkIII and MkIV, you can AF if the widest aperture is f/8 (so, for example, a 400mm f/5.6 with 1.4x TC attached), however you can only use the centre AF point – this is probably where you heard that information.

I would be sticking with Canon, although some get some very good Kenko TCs which give great IQ, however these tend to be a very much hit and miss scenario and the build quality is nowhere near as good as they do not have weather sealing, etc.

FYI – there is minimal impact on IQ when using the Canon 1.4x extender on a 500 f/4; images are still very sharp and bokeh remains good. Very good considering you effectively turn your 500 into a 700 f/5.6
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

OK, thanks for the info people....I've got it solved as I've just been given both the canon 1.4 and 2x TC for a loan for two weeks to try out...hopefully I get time to play lots in that time period.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by seesee
    OK, thanks for the info people....I've got it solved as I've just been given both the canon 1.4 and 2x TC for a loan for two weeks to try out...hopefully I get time to play lots in that time period.
    Let us know what you think, Colin! You wont be able to AF using the 2x TC on the 500 f/4, so will be stuck with manual focus. Which is fine if you know where the bird is going to land and can pre-focus
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by seesee
    Hope you have fun with the testing mate!
    I must admit that i have both and i pretty much never use the 2X. I find that i get better quality from cropping a bit more than i get from using it. Just my opinion anyway but you do notice the drop in IQ. Especially when the 1.4X is so good.
    Cheers, Dave

Tony Hansford Guest

Sorry to bump this thread but the focusing issues from the Canon 1.4x are with the older f4.5L model not the newer f4L. I have read you can tape 3 pins on the Canon converter to enable AF with the f4.5L, something I will be trying shortly

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Canon 1.4tc II and Kenko 1.4tc are optically nearly identical. AF speed is equal on both.
    The big feature the Canon has over the Kenko, is weather sealing. I use a Kenko, and whilst it's a lot cheaper, I would prefer to the Canon because of this feature.

Canon 2x vs Kenko 2x is a different story. Canon wins hands down in IQ.