Thread: Monitor Calibration

Default Monitor Calibration

Wonder how many on here have their monitors calibrated with any of the after market calibration units like Spyder, or Colormunki or the like, but which one is best value for money. I'm dubious as to if the cheaper ones are any better than the standard NIVIDIA calibration system that comes with my PC, but sure as heck dont want to spend too much money.

Reason I ask is I know a lot of folk have purchased the units, but everyone seems to have their preferences for different brands. Some units are available for as little as $200.00 or so, but some go into the $1000.00 +++ price range.

I'm finding it increasingly frustrating in judging brightness on images, and exposure looks totally different depending on ambient light in my computer room. My latest images of Oystercatchers has me bugged...this morning when posted they looked well exposed on my monitor, looking just now at night time they look washed out and a little over exposed. Sometimes folk give C&C on my images stating they are a bit dark or lacking detail in the shadows, but I dont see that in them when uploaded, really thinking I might have to bite the bullet and buy a decent calibrator...any suggestions ?
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Monitor Calibration

This may be a silly question but what monitor do you have? If you are using a basic TN panel that would be what I would concentrate on upgrading first.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

the eye one 2 is what I use and it does a good job.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Spyder 3 Pro user here.

If you're a dual monitor user, be aware that your graphics card has to be able to support loading two profiles onto it, because MOST support calibration of one monitor only. I think only the pro GPUs (FirePro for ATI, and Quadro for nVidia) support dual profiling.