Thread: From Bridge Camera to DSLR+camo

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default From Bridge Camera to DSLR+camo

Well at present I just use the Fuji S100FS but the passion for birding is drawing me no compelling, teasing, luring
    me to upgrade. being new to the site sorry if others have asked this before. who's got some recomendations on an effective birding system.?? heres one for you guys anyone use camo clothing to get closer to birds that are spooky to capture been looking into the Lemellar range of camo for oz conditions. but some retailers want an arm and leg over here
    my thoughts are that with the use of it one can break down the body outline to get closer
    though i guess one would have to be carefull as people might think you are a terrorist sniper and call in the TRG
    I know bow hunters use it with great effect, any thoughts
    cheers Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: From Bridge Camera to DSLR+camo

Camo is not really necessary in most cases but it will work wonders if you are staking out a particular species that is known to be wary. I would'nt go for the expensive stuff, just your plain old camo jumper and pants from a disposals store will do the trick.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I wouldn't waste money on a camo suit. Better spent on good camera equipment, (bins or scope if you are just a birder).

There are other ways to break up your outline, examples - keep trees or other objects between you and the bird as you stalk. Keep low and crawl if necessary.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

I' dont wear or have a camo outfit ...too hot and not necessary imo, but always wear sensible clothing, certainly nothing bright and noticeable, like orange :roll: Generally I wear a karki or light brown work shirt style or similar natural colour tones. A simple hat { army Giggle Hat for example or bucket hat is a must have I believe as it also helps break up your outline } I often carry a piece of lightweight, see through mesh camo colour cloth either draped around my neck or in my kit to help conceal myself amoung the bushes, or sometimes worn over my head and held in place by my hat so it acts as a draped veil over my head and body to conceal myself.... camo burqua style

A simple piece of see through mesh camo cloth as mentioned is generally available from bigger Draper shops...Spotlight Stores, Army surplus and the like....a piece about 2 metres x 1.5 metres is ideal

As far as decent birding camera set up....depends on price price price = how much can you afford ? V good birding kits run into many thousands of dollars. Good, but basic set ups using third party lenses on cheaper camera bodies will cost approx $2000.00 .You may occasionally fluke some good shots with lesser gear of around $1,300.00 approx, but you will soon be wanting better....we all do soon enough :roll:....I think a lesson we have all learned is buying lesser gear in the long term costs more as resale on lesser gear when you decide to go more upmarket is very low to the point where you would likely have trouble finding a buyer for the more basic equipment.
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

instead of camo clothes just wear earthy tones and colours. I actually wear camo boardshorts that I buy from BigW and then wear brown, tan or green shirts. While I am ex-military and still have a bit of camo kit it is less silly looking if you stop at the shops or use public transport to get to your locations if you just wear normal looking clothes.

Oh year and wear a hat. Shadow over your eyes will help make it a little noticeable to birds that you are looking straight at them while stalking. Plus you keep the sun off.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com