Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Lens

Are cannon and nikon lens interchangable ?
    say: 100 x 400 lens

eg: Nikon lens on a cannon camera and vice versa

Jude

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Lens

Afraid not Jude You can by converters I think but they will most likely affect focusing etc. Others may know more

Image Reposts
    Please ask

You can use Nikon lenses on Canon with a converter, not vice versa and maintain infinity focus. You lose auto diaphragm and Auto focus. Some people do it with wide angle lenses for landscapes as a few Nikon lenses are sharper than Canon equivalents, but without those auto features you are going to struggle to shoot action and focusing will be a chore without a 1D series body due to the nature of focus screens in other bodies.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Ta muchly guys ... thanks for your input.
    It's back to the drawing board for me ... I've been told YES, they will work
    but no one said anything about having a converter.

How about a hybrid lens fitting either Canon or Nikon ?

Jude

5. Default Re: Lens

I personally would not even bother to use lens converters for any reason. Both systems have good and bad lenses. Best to pick one, which suits your needs.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Roaminoz
    How about a hybrid lens fitting either Canon or Nikon ?

Jude
    No such thing Jude. They have different mounts on the camera bodies so one will not fit another without an adaptor as mentioned by the others. If you buy a third party lens like a Tamron or Sigma etc you buy it to suit either a Canon or Nikon. ie they will have a different mount to match the intended camera brand.
    What is your particular dilemma?
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I've decided after being on this forum for some time now and seeing everyone's beautiful
    photos the time has come for me to buy a camera .. a descent camera. I've decided to
    buy a Cannon EOS 40D. I think they were a 2007 model.

Appears quite a few people on this site have it and not being the latest model
    wont cost me (or rather hubby) an arm and a leg. Looks like
    I should be able to buy a 'body only' under $1000 .. more likely $800.

But it's the lens that's the big bucks! Hubby freaked! I want to buy a 100 x 400 lens
    as again, many seem to have this size.

So now I'm surfing the net looking for the above.

I took a photo of my two resident frogmouths late afternoon yesterday with my
    Cannon Powershot and no matter how many photos I took with different settings
    they are CRAP. So the time has come to update ! Mind you, still have to get
    hubby's A.O.K. now that's not going to be easy ! Makes it hard when one doesn't
    work !

Jude

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Have a look on Ebay, I picked up a mint 40D for my daughter for $695. Same deal with lenses. I got my 300mm f4 for $1200 and a 1.4x for a good price.

The 100-400mm come up more regularly than the 300mm f4 lnses. There is a 400mm f5.6 on sale right now for $995.

You just have to learn the Ebay tricks, only pay by Paypal and don't get carried away with bidding.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks ChrisRoss

My hubby is an ebay addict so we know all about the in's and out's of ebay.
    Your right, don't get carried away with bidding.

So hubby is now on the job ... searching ebay for a camera and lens.

Jude

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Good on you Jude for roping hubby into buying you a nice cam and lens! When it comes to photography, lenses (albeit quality ones) always come at a premium, but are the most important aspect of photography. You can have a Canon 1D Mk IV, for example, but put a crappy lens on it and you will get very average results.

The 40D is a very popular cam and will be a great addition to your photography. I can recommend the 100-400, however just be careful as older copies of the lens were reported to be quite soft at 400mm. My 100-400 was bought new last year and is very sharp at 400mm, so just bear this mind. A good way of telling the age of a lens is to look at its date code (if they seller posts this code) and it will tell you how old the lens is. See http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Cano ... Aging.aspx

Dont worry too much, however, it seemed that it was a minority of people who had soft copies of the 100-400. If you are looking for issues with equipment on the net, you will always find them and it can often be difficult to tell whether its a legitimate issue with the equipment or user error (too low shutter speed when handheld, incorrect focus, etc).

Looking forward to seeing some photos with your new rig when it arrives! Dont forget you will need to buy a Compact Flash card as well if the seller is not including one in the package.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thank you to everyone who has replied ...

It's now all up to hubby

He's a scrooge McDuck !

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Here's a 300mm f4 going right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-300mm-f4-L ... 2c544b00a9

He wants $1400 starting bid which seems a bit high (at least compared to what I paid) and it's pick up only from Brisbane. You could well get it for that, nice lens particularly with the 1.4x to go with it.

Looks like that 400mm I mentioned before has gone.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com

Just one more thought in regards to the 40D....it's a lovely camera, capable of lovely images, well regarded in most respects, but prone to breakdowns..."er 99". Hopefully you wont get a dud, although warranty should cover any shortcomings. Seems a lot of folk have had their 40D pack up on them, one top shelf birder I know has had to return 3 x 40D's. Even Richard hall aka Darksome has had his 40D fail on him while we were both out birding together one morning.

You may also want to consider something like a Sigma APO 150-500 lens to save on money, has a good to very good reputation and at roughly half the price, Digital Camera magazine rated it as better than the Canon 100-400 lens { but I'm skeptical on that review } All up for around $2000.00 you could get a great birding/wildlife outfit using the Sigma with either a Canon 40D body or maybe Nikon D90 { I'm a Nikon lover :P }
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Yep, I certainly did get an error 99. In my case it was a faulty shutter mechanism. It was fixed under warranty and I got it back in just under 2 weeks, so not too bad. It's been fine since.

From what I've read the error 99 code is a general fault code, so as a result it can show up for a range of problems.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Richard ... whats that bloody big chook eye you have for your avatar ??

Gee everyone, this has not been fun! The more I look the worse it gets! I see WOW Sight and Sound have a twin lens deal going at the moment which I think sounds great ... Nikon D3000 with a twin lens deal 18-55mm and 55 -200mm but appears the deal is off now! It was $1200 plus a wee bit more.

I've found myself a great site ... http://www.dpreview.com/ although american I think their reviews are great.
    And I'm studying this site .. or trying to. There is a glossory of terms etc... which has been very helpful

So I'm still looking looking looking ... I'll get there.

Jude