Thread: Looking for new binocuars?

Default Looking for new binocuars?

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publicatio ... Binos.html

The above link is, I think, a good site to check out for those looking at bins.

I am on the look out for a new pair of bins having lost my old Zeiss some time back (Oh sad day) - and not being insured, and as usual stony broke I have not replaced them. I had them for years - 35years to be exact and they cost me a weeks wages. But I recently picked up a used pair of Pentax 8x42 for $90 and I have to say I am blown away by the quality. Last week I had a look through a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 and these will be my next buy for sure. Having said that the Cornell report has several makes and models worth while. Years back I wrote a report for one of the Government agencies on what bins they should get for their rangers and scientific officers. From memory it was Leitz Trinovids for the guys who needed the top line and Zeiss Jenas or Steiners for the hoi poloi. It is remarkable how much better the middle range in particular has come since then and they represent excellent value. I will hang on to my old Swarovski scope though!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Wow,
    I know this thread is ancient but! for my fiftieth I bought a pair of Zeiss Victory 8 x42 FL and as you would expect they are magnificent. My daughter was given a pair of Dick Smith 7 x 40 worth $70 and looking at the stars there is not much difference even though the differnce in price was $2430.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Wow Richard, that's a huge gap in price for what appears not much difference in image quality. Funny, have you been hearing about DS selling used stuff? Maybe the bins from DS were used too.

I did buy my old mate's Carl Zeiss 8 x 30 that's over 40 years old and nearly paid 300 bucks. Gosh, the IQ is magic. Still after 40 years of use.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    Wow Richard, that's a huge gap in price for what appears not much difference in image quality.
    True, but I suspect (happy to be corrected) that looking at stars probably isn't going to be the best way to pick up differences in optical quality? Would be interested to hear how the two pairs compare when looking at birds, particularly in lower light conditions like rainforest.

That said, I think the difference in optical quality per dollar cost between bins decreases as the bins get more expensive. I doubt the difference in optical quality between my mid-range Nikons and the top end Swarovski and Leica bins would be enough for me to consider buying the top-line ones (although other factors like longevity probably come into it as well)