Thread: Canon Custom function 4 ???

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Canon Custom function 4 ???

Hey all,

Just been reading someone singing the praises of Canon cameras Custom function #4 ( shutter/AE lock button).
    Essentially it gives the photographer a chance to use AI servo while also being able to focus and recompose, the best of both worlds sort of.
    It also can be used to help affectively separate focusing and metering by allowing you to perhaps spot meter/centre weight meter a subject and recompose while retaining AI servo. The AE lock button is used to switch between the two.
    Does anyone use this?

Cheers, Paul 8-)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Canon Custom function 4 ???

Assume you mean the function to allow you to activate AF with your thumb and be seperate from the metering control on the shutter button.

I use that regularly when shooting dragonflies in flight with AI servo. Well I guess I leave it on all the time as it takes a little getting used to, but I find it works well for me. It also bypasses the function where the shutter won't release as the camera has not locked AF yet ( at least on the 1D MkIIn). Quite handy if the cmera is struggling lock in low light and you tweak the focus manually., you can then the shutter, without worrying about obtaining AF lock.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thats the one Chris Sounds like once you get used to it you'll almost never hit the shutter button again I'm gonna give it a try on the weekend.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Yep, I use it very often! I shoot in AI servo mode and use it to lock focus so I can recompose a shot and not have it focus on something else. Damn handy!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I think I may find it hard to get used to I'm a man of habit and a lazy photographer to boot

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by wingsonwire
    I think I may find it hard to get used to
    Me too. I tried it last year and was stuffing things up more than usual. :roll:

Though I think it warrants giving it another go.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

I use it on the odd occassion, but must admit to be stuck in my ways and find it simple to just keep plugging away at the half press shutter button to re-focus :roll: too many dam buttons on new cameras as it is
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I have used it for quite a while now as I saw a post about it on DPReview and read about it in an article from a wildlife photographer overseas. Works a treat for BIF and even stationary birds. I started using it on my 50D a month or so after I purchased it and use it exclusively with the 7D on both stationary and moving birds. As I started using it early on in the piece, itís more or less second nature now. But, if one is used to using the shutter button for many years, then I can see how it would be very hard to change when you have become accustomed
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

mmmm, would this be much the same as the lens AF stop button on super tele's...? were you can switch between A1 servo and one shot...? know that the 300 has it and find it handy to go back to one shot and recompose by holding in the button, wondering if chris's 500 f/4.5 has it and paul's 600 f/4 should have it i would imagine...? sorry if i am off track here but just a thought.cheers

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Was introduced in 1999 so neither of our lens (mine or Chris's) will have that function. Either way, I think the button on the camera would be easier to use. I still have'nt gotten the gist of this custom funtion, I'm pretty quick with selecting a different AF point so I have just been doing that. Too set in my ways I guess

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for posting this tip! I used it on yesterdays pelagic trip off Wollongong and haven't come home with so many birds in focus on any of the previous 3 pelagic's as I did this time! My father-in-law also used the same method after I showed him the evening before the pelagic, and he won't be birding any other way from now!

Now, getting the birds to stay in the frame while I take focussed shots, well that's another matter. Is there a custom function hidden in there for this????

Cheers
    Nigel

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Awesome Nigel, look forward to seeing more of your shots