Thread: Unexpected results

Default Unexpected results

Don't mean to be nasty or anything by contradicting advice, but I tried something that worked surprisingly well using playback and my newly acquired Cass Creek Big Horn extension speaker plugged into my mobile phone mp3 player. I was not expecting results by using playback on flocking parrots, but was having great results yesterday east of Adelaide attracting Robins, Babblers, GST's etc etc so experimented with playback on Ringnecks I knew were in the area.

Within 2 minutes of playing back Ringneck sounds I had 7 fly in and go directly to where I had the speaker placed about 30 or so feet away, none approached the actual speaker within 10 or so feet, but were certainly occupied trying to work it out so images taken, but not a clean shot to be had.

Pleased with that me and Tina went back to where we parked the vehicle and have a cuppa. Sitting in my comfy chair sipping hot tea I decided why waste time and so set up the extension speaker about 50 feet away in a bush to watch and wait. Thought I'd playback the Mulga Parrot call since they were also somewhere in the region. In less than 5 minutes 5 Mulgas came racing out of the mallee and landed on a tree above our heads, you could see them arching their necks and ears to the direction of the bush with speaker placed. Not much more than 30 seconds later they went directly to the bush and perched out in the open just above the speaker. They seemed mesmerised by it and settled down to listen and actually watched as a couple of them went seemingly to sleep, obviously feeling secure amoung what they thought was the security of the " phantom " flock.

What a brilliant opportunity !...I crept to minimum focus distance of the small group, with my chair, about 15 feet away and rattled off numerous pictures, male and female. As a consequence I got some great Mulga Parrot shots, although the light was not from the ideal direction, but still extra pleased at the results. They eventually took off after 15 minutes once I decided to use the flash which freaked them out and couldn't entice them back after that.

So....pleased with my Big Horn purchase ......now if I can find the right playback for Blue Bonnet Parrots I'll be keen to give it a go on them as I know where they inhabit regularly but can never get within a 100 metres or so. Anyone know where I can get a decent recording of Blue Bonnets for playback ?....really really want to get a decent image of this species for my collection, probably my favorite Parrot species

PS : the Big Horn speaker worked well for a short time on a group of White-browed Babblers too which was surprising as these birds have always eluded me in getting a clean shot, always behing a bush or branch....yesterday I got my best yet Babbler shot, nice clean image so woohoo and double woohoo !!!
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Unexpected results

well done... seems like the purchase has paid off handsomely already.

Looking forward to seeing some of the images.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Sounds like you got some great results, Colin. Very much looking forward to seeing some photographs! Where do you obtain your bird calls from? Do you record them yourself or just use the CD recordings etc available for retail? I wont have time for at least 2 years or so to use bird calls to attract birds, but would be something I would be interested in doing once I have completed my studies. I also need to research my bird calls a bit, I am sick of hearing birds and not knowing the species
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMengel
    Sounds like you got some great results, Colin. Very much looking forward to seeing some photographs! Where do you obtain your bird calls from? Do you record them yourself or just use the CD recordings etc available for retail? I wont have time for at least 2 years or so to use bird calls to attract birds, but would be something I would be interested in doing once I have completed my studies. I also need to research my bird calls a bit, I am sick of hearing birds and not knowing the species
    Ah now that's the thing .....playback of calls minimises the time to pursue birds, just do it

I have copied a lot of my bird calls from CD's recorded by David Stewart, although not all, and many of David Stewart's are not of good quality sadly.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Well firstly It's good to see some parrots will respond, I've never made it happen yet. I've quite a few of Dave Stewarts CDs and I find the quality not too bad (at least compared to some of the BOCA CD calls).

Now if you want Bluebonnet, it is on Fred van Gessels NT birds CD vol 2 CD3 . It has a narration which you may want to edit out before transferring to your Ipod (or whatever). Fred has quite a collection.

Contact details are:
    Fred van Gessel
    fredrik6@bigpond.com
    ph: (02) 43431283

When I order from him, I generally email first to establish what CD I want then mail him a cheque, he doesn't have a store/CC facilities.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Cheers for the help people, got it sorted I think....just on David Stewart....some of his calls are good but some are really bad, on some the sound of tape hum and/or blowflies is louder than the actual bird call. :roll: