Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker for Bird Calls

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Speaker for Bird Calls

After wasting time and money on poor performing speakers. I have finally found one that actually delivers the volume I need. This speaker was designed for big game hunters, however it delivers in every department for me. As far as I know you have to import them from the USA, however at US $39.95 they're a good investment. If you want more details I have some more information on my web site.

Towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.gerardsatherleyphotograph...ing-bird-calls

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Speaker for Bird Calls

WHat a beast!
    Thanks Gerard. I'm like you - imust have owned 4 or 5 different speakers. My current speaker is a $49 Altec from Officeworks. I must admit that portability is the key for me so 1kg might be too much more for me to carry
    Thanks for posting.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've just got a $15 somethingorother from dicksmith, it seems to work fine.
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Hmmmm, cheap enough, but a little heavy.....not sure why you would want such a loud unit to be honest, most birds aren't very loud anyway, I'd be concerned it may scare them off. I just use a $5.00 unit from a bargain store attatched to my mobile phone/MP3 via a 30 foot wire, the volume is around the same as if it came directly from my phone and it easily wedges into a tree or the like, or attatch to a branch with a rubber band....works well and fits in my pocket.
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by seesee
    Hmmmm, cheap enough, but a little heavy.....not sure why you would want such a loud unit to be honest, most birds aren't very loud anyway, I'd be concerned it may scare them off. I just use a $5.00 unit from a bargain store
    Colin it does not have to be loud, but its nice when you need a little more volume. All I need to do is adjust the volume on my MP3 player. I used to think the cheap speakers were all right until I had the opportunity to photograph with Arron (who I regard as one of the most knowlegable in this field) his speaker blew me away in regards to the results he achieved. I think you have to remember in the bush there can be many environmental factors that can influence the carry of a call. Birds may not be all loud but a lot are and those that are not loud can still be heard from distances that exceed the range of the usual speakers. The speakers you buy at Dick Smith are designed to work with an MP3 in the home environment. I think that being able to obtain a louder volume is the same as casting a bigger net. Also worth considering when you have travelled to a remote site is the reliability of the speakers. My first $19.95 speakers stopped working on my last trip to outback Queeensland, I wasn't happy. When you carry around a 500mm VR lens and associated equipment a 1kg speaker in the backpack for me is not a deal breaker.
    In the end if you are happy that's fine, all I can say is, in my experience volume and reliability does matter.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

No contest for me I have a little Altec Lansing pocket speaker, runs for 30 hrs on 3 AAAs, good sound too.

this is it here:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... CCQQ9QEwCA
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoss
    No contest for me I have a little Altec Lansing pocket speaker, runs for 30 hrs on 3 AAAs, good sound too.
    Chris I also have one of these Altec speakers, sorry it doesn't come close to my new speaker except in portability and price. My new speaker uses 4 "C" batteries, the Altec uses 3 AAAs. I think that says something about the likely volume, especially when you consider that my new speaker was actualy designed for outdoor use.
    There isn't anything wrong with the Altec speakers, its just that my new speaker suits my needs better. I only posted this information in case there were other photographers who wanted something with more power and reliability than is currently available in Australia.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoss

this is it here:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... CCQQ9QEwCA
    That's the one i use too Chris
    Yes certainly appreciate your post Gerard. Nice to have the info presented even if you don't choose to buy one
    We went owling with a reknowned owl expert once and he used one of those massive old megaphones like they used at school! Talk about loud It made my little Altec look like ....well, a compact camera compared to a 500mm
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

"So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Gerard for that info.

I have the altec as well but I don't know whether it has enough juice and this bigger unit could be an option.

Cheers
    Brett

OK, so I just enquired about buying one of the units Gerard uses as upon his reccomendation and certainly sounds like the ticket. Amazon in the USA have them for about $55.00 AUS, but basic postage is around $80.00 so I might give it a miss for the moment unless someone knows offhand an equal Australian alternative.

Curious about the Altec that a few seem to have.....just how loud is the volume ?...is it louder than what comes off the MP3/Mobile Phone recording or louder. The cheap units I currently use work OK, used plugged into a 30 foot wire but volume wise they are about the same as if I just played the calls back on my mobile phone, I can just hear then at 30 foot distance.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

The altec is noticeably louder than my iphone but not hugely so.

Gerard, can I ask where you sourced yours and if you recall what the freight was?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky
    Gerard, can I ask where you sourced yours and if you recall what the freight was?
    Hi Brett, The speaker cost me US$39.99 and postage was US$30.00. I purchased it from trailhunting.com. It might be possible to get a cheaper postage option if you ask.

Just ordered one through Trailhunting as suggested by Gerard, certainly a lot cheaper shipping than Amazon, almost 2/3's less...thanks Gerard for the help.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

While we are dicussing the Altec orbit speaker, how do you guys deploy it in the field?

I would like to be able to attach it to my belt maybe put the iphone in my pocket given the cord is pretty short. That way my hands are free for the camera, when I need a call I need only one hand to pull out the iphone find the track and hit play, don't have to touch the speaker.

How does everyone do this, given most would have cameras etc being carried around as well?

Thanks

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky
    While we are dicussing the Altec orbit speaker, how do you guys deploy it in the field?

I would like to be able to attach it to my belt maybe put the iphone in my pocket given the cord is pretty short. That way my hands are free for the camera, when I need a call I need only one hand to pull out the iphone find the track and hit play, don't have to touch the speaker.

How does everyone do this, given most would have cameras etc being carried around as well?

Thanks
    Always a pain isn't it! I must admit that i sometimes just use the iPhone and with the soft rubbery cover i have on it, i just rest it on the top of the 500mm With the altec i attach that little carabeena to my belt and hang it off with the iphone in the pocket.
    Cheers, Dave