Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirt Cheap Cameras experience?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Dirt Cheap Cameras experience?

Hey all,

The new gear plan is progressing nicely with the recent purchase of a new 21.5" iMac with a very pretty IPS panel. Next week I plan to get the 7D and was wondering what you all thought of dirtcheapcameras.com.au? This is the cheapest retailer with Australian stock I have found so far. Anyone know any parallel importers that keep grey market stock in Australia (so as to avoid customs problems) for the lenses?

I'm a bit away from the telephoto lens but I do want get a Canon 50mm f/1.4 and a Canon 24mm f/1.8. Any thoughts on these lenses?

Thanks guys,
    Seb

P.S. I have read many reviews and opinions online of different lenses, but I value the opinion of all of you!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Dirt Cheap Cameras experience?

I havent had any experience with Dirt Cheap Cameras - the name never seemed to lure me in. I tend to buy all my camera bodies with Australia warranties (not grey import).

Lenses on the other hand, I have bought from a mixture of both grey stock and Australian stock. I have used Cameras Direct (QLD company) to buy some of my lenses, namely the 500mm f/4 as they grey import and therefore are able to sell the lenses quite a bit cheaper than Australian stock. I have used them quite often and find their customer service, quality of products and speed of delivery outstanding. This has lead to me going back to shop with them. Have a look at www.camerasdirect.com.au

I cant really help you with the primes you are looking at, just remember that the difference between 24mm and 50mm is quite a bit, especially when using crop cameras. All depends on what the lens will be used for, my guess is probably portraits? The 24 might be a little short for that, unless you dont mind standing closer to the subject.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hey Dale,

Thanks for the quick reply. My understanding is that Dirt Cheap Cameras have Australian stock, no? I am also looking at digidirect.com.au for the body. I understand they have retail stores in Sydney and Bondi which is reassuring. I hope to get both the 50mm f/1.4 and the 24 f/1.8 starting with the 50mm.

Thanks for the tip for Cameras Direct. I just can't hack forking out 50% more for a lens with Aussie warranty! It seems they are both out of stock there though so I will keep poking around.

Thanks very much! I feel unwell when parting with large amounts of money!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

G'day Seb,

another tack that I would strongly suggest is to visit a camera shop and tell them of your long term photo equipment plans. They're usually quit willing to discount if they perceive you as a potential long term customer. I have found that a substantial amount will be shaved off the advertised prices if they know that you'll be purchasing alot of 'stuff' over the ensuing months or years. It may not be 50% but you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have not dealt with the cheap places because their advertised prices are much higher than the prices that I can negotiate face-to-face with camera stores in Melbourne.

And on the subject of warranties, I think we consumers have statuatory rights (may vary from state to state) that exceed the manufacturer's warranty. That is, if you paid $15,000 for a big Canon lens and it died after the 12 months' warranty period, you would be entitled to expect that the manufacturer would repair it free of charge. That's because it would not be unreasonable to expect a product of such high quality (and price !) to last longer than 12 months before failing.

Good luck in your re-equipment journey.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks George,

Alas, Cairns has only one camera store (Camera House) that even stocks anything above a 550D. I went in there today, explained my future intentions and talked to the admittedly nice sales assistant but he simply couldn't knock almost anything off the $2300 sale price for the 7D. The 50mm f/1.4 was priced at an astronomical $650.

I think online stores will be the way to go with me! I have found a winner I believe with digidirect.com.au. They have two retail stores in Sydney CBD and Bondi and have the 7D listed at a reasonable $2138. Will have to think on it some more!

Cheers.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

If you don't mind not having the warranty, then probably get it from overseas
    The Aus rrp of the 7D body is $2600
    The US rrp of the body is $1600, which converts to less than $1800 Aus, which, even when you pay for shipping, is substantially less than anything in Aus

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy Drongo
    If you don't mind not having the warranty, then probably get it from overseas
    The Aus rrp of the 7D body is $2600
    The US rrp of the body is $1600, which converts to less than $1800 Aus, which, even when you pay for shipping, is substantially less than anything in Aus

Ashwin
    Ashy,

You have to add GST on to that & the hassle of going through all the customs paperwork.

It is still cheaper than the Aus RRP though.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Agreed Geoff. If you get pulled up by customs you get the 10% GST, customs processing fee, paperwork and depending on the courier, they may charge a fee as well. I know DHL bullwhip you with a nasty $200 additional fee. Include the lack of local warranty it's just not worth it the risk...

I ordered today from digidirect.com.au. Ordered the 50mm f/1.4 from Dirt Cheap. I will see how it all goes!! For anyone that is interested, I was recommended maxsaver.net for truly unbelievably cheap and authentic filters with free postage to Australia. Purchased from them also so I will report back here.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I'm late to the game, but I've bought most of my lenses from DDPhotographics. I pick up from North Sydney though, but they should be ok for postage. they stock it all locally so there's no customs issues etc. I've bought both my bodies from Australian stock, however (I found Ryda, the store that sell car stereo's, were the cheapest when i bought my 50d - was weird buying a camera from a dude used to selling speakers, but meh...).

A friend who does weddings and portrait photography has been telling me about DWI lately - apparently they're cheaper still, but they ship from OS - so you run the risk of customs opening up the package to see if what is claimed to be less than $1000 is actually less than $1000. I'm in the market for a 500mm later in the year, and I'll probably DDphotographics it - $~7500 vs $8500+ from local stores, although another $500 up from DWi (but if you get hit with customs charges.......)
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I am holding the lens from DirtCheapCameras.com.au in my right hand. Digidirect.com.au didn't even see fit to send the body until today -- through an off peak satchel service. Not happy Larry. I guess money doesn't talk any more...

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Ok I got the 7D today. My life shall be forever split into pre-DSLR and post-DSLR.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

awesome Sebii! can't wait to see some photos of my favourite wet tropics birds!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hehe not yet! The final stage of my plan is the new lens. That unfortunately is two months away!

As an aside David, thanks for the tip with AIS. I just got my quote and will be signing up next week. Friendly people!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by sebii
    Hehe not yet! The final stage of my plan is the new lens. That unfortunately is two months away!

As an aside David, thanks for the tip with AIS. I just got my quote and will be signing up next week. Friendly people!
    Awesome mate! Glad i could help. Did you talk to George? I've always found them really good to deal with.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I can't be sure, but I suspect George Roth is the only one there apart from his assistant. I spoke to her the other day -- she answered my dopey insurance questions in good humour.