Thread: Spotting Scopes

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Spotting Scopes

I'm looking around at getting a spotting scope, but haven't really a clue, so any advice would be most welcome

Which do people prefer, straight or angled eyepieces?

What magnification/diameter lens would be best?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just something that is reasonable. At the moment I'm tending towards the lower end Nikon models, something like the ProStaff.

Thanks very much
    "the responsible thing to do -- the enlightened 21st century thing -- is to pony up your money and your time and save them. Because they are birds; and that is more than enough reason for anybody." - Colleen Mondor

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Spotting Scopes

Swarovski all the way Brook!
    I have an angled scope which i personally find easier - means you don't have to extend the tripod as high (alot of tripods won't go high enough for a comfortable height anyway) and also I think its easier when sharing in a group situation.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I've got a 80mm Nikon fieldscope - ~$1000 about 4 years ago. with a spotting scope, get the best you can reasonably afford. Swarovski's are very very nice, but I think the best one i've ever looked through is the 88mm Kowa - it's a monster of a scope, but jeez... it's awesome. don't neglect the tripod either - you'll need a good sturdy tripod. I'm a fan of angled eyepieces - you look around for targets with the bins then you can just look straight down into the eyepiece. i've got a zoom eyepiece (20-60x) but it's rubbish above 40. if i wasn't gettign the 500mm lens, i'd probably get a fixed 20x eyepiece as it gets slightly wider fov and a slightly better picture quality.

similar to the bins question in the other thread - get yourself to a decent store (bintel etc) and try out everything in your price range. look for abberation on the edges of the FOV. if you want to travel a lot with it, 60mm fits easier into bags for online carriage, but i've had my scope, bins and camera with the 100-400 and 100mm macro lens in my carry on airline luggage with room for a book.
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

What's the matter Troy? Don't trust the handlers at the airport?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

haha..! well either them or the baggage claim - somethings going to go wrong and wreck my expensive toys! had the issue a few years back getting off at Cairns in late november, and wanted to put the bins onto some fig parrots (or so i thought) and the humidity/temp increase after the 3.something hour flight of AC meant the bins (and lens, and scope, and my glasses) were useless for about an hour until they acclimatised. Geez I love cairns in the leadup to the wet.
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hahaha! Welcome to my life. I go out on the Esplanade every day after work with my binos/camera and encountered the same problem. Now I store my optics in the store room outside in order to avoid the air conditioning.

Cairns' weather is a pain at times but I love it! The GF is desperate to leave though...