Thread: Mongoose M3.5a update

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Mongoose M3.5a update

Sorry if this is really boring for everyone but some of you will know that I own and love my mongoose tripod head, but it has always had one flaw. That flaw is that the locking knobs are too stiff and it won't lock off properly. Not a big issue when shooting as i rarely find a need to lock it off, but a real pain when carrrying it over your shoulder and the lens swings around, or worse when you take the body off to add a TC and the lens drops forward. (Never in danger of falling over or anything but a bit more bashing than the 500mm deserves!)
    I read that there is a new upgraded version so i emailed Arthur Morris/Birds As Art (who i bought the head from) and he replied very quickly saying that the manufacturer might fix it but don't hold your breath wating for them to reply! He also copied the guy from 4thGD into this email! Well within 20 minutes of receiving that email i received an email from John from 4thGD offering to send upgraded parts at no cost except shipping which sounds pretty fair to me. The only complication was that i had to take out the locking knobs to tell him which brake material mine had so he could tell if it would take the new parts etc. After a couple of embarrassing emails asking how to unscrew the knobs (they just wouldn't budge and i didn't want to wreck the head) I eventually got the OK to use WD-40. After 2 seconds they unscrewed perfectly and i was able to email John with the details he needed. That was this morning.
    The best news of the day is that I then rescrewed the knobs in and for whatever reason the knobs now twist in beautifully without the stiffness and really short amount of turns that it used to, and best of all they lock in tight!! Hooray!! I even took the body off and the lens just stayed there!
    I will still get the new parts for sure but worst case it now does what i thought it should and i love it even more! I'm now 100% confident i wouldn't buy a Wimberley if i had my time over again.
    Very happy with the response from the suppliers involved so far for sure too.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Default Re: Mongoose M3.5a update

Good stuff getting good help and advice from the suppliers, helpfull after sales service is something that all too often overlooked with a lot of retailers.

PS : I looooove my Wimberly Head, silken smooth and everything is feather touch perfect....but comes at a ...big...price. :roll:
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

That sure is good customer service Dave. (amazing what a US recession will do - that's the cynic in me).

That WD-40 is good stuff too.

I still don't know which way to go, Wimberley or Mongoose when I get my 500mm.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

That is great news, David. I was surprised when I read the thread on DPReview which stated that they were offering free upgrades to the 3.5a Mongoose heads; glad that it worked out for you (so far!).

I have just ordered my Mongoose 3.5b from Artie Morris, along with the CP-51b replacement foot, a lens coat and a flash arm. Should be more or less set then. Nearly every person I know that owns a Mongoose (based on forums, etc) has stated they would never go to the Wimberly - most of them have owned both, so it's reassuring to know that I have made a seemingly good decision to go with the Mongoose (the weight, or lack of it, also being a major part of going with the Mongoose).

Let us know how it goes when you receive the new parts!
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffG
    That sure is good customer service Dave. (amazing what a US recession will do - that's the cynic in me).

That WD-40 is good stuff too.

I still don't know which way to go, Wimberley or Mongoose when I get my 500mm.
    Just ask Colin and i for our opinions - that will make it dead easy for you to decide If you ever get to Sydney give me a call and you can have a go!
    I reckon it is a very personal preference. Both will fulfill the same ultimate goal but through different means. I do think the Wimberley is smoother and the big locking knobs are great. If weight and cost are not an issue at all then i think it is possibly the superior head although this is based on only a couple of short uses of the Wimberley. I can certainly understand why Colin loves his as much as i love mine. But as I've said weight was the biggest factor for me and well worth the cost of the potentially 'not as good' factor. My tripod rig just feels like it weighs nothing.
    My photography is very mobile and opportunistic - ie i rarely sit in a hide but rather take my camera with me when i'm birding.

Dale - I'll keep you posted for sure mate. I was really happy with the stuff i bought through Artie. The low foot for the 500mm is awesome and worth the money! The flash arm is also brilliant.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21