Thread: Anyone using a Canon 7D

Default Anyone using a Canon 7D

My wife currently has a Canon 50D, only used it a few times, and although good, a tad noisy at higher ISO's, is thinking of upgrading to a 7D for an African Safari in April. She will keep the 5D (classic) for landscape shots.
    Upgrade is for the superior AF and also for purported lower noise at higher ISO's.

I am a little concerned on reading different forums about the number of cameras that seem to have focusing issues out there. Surely they can't all be user error.

Does anyone here use or know of someone that uses this camera and is able to provide some feedback.

Cheers
    Hoppy

An SLR always has the wrong lens on

http://www.romarimages.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Anyone using a Canon 7D

G'day Hoppy,

Simon Bennett uses a 7D

cheers
    Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Hoppy,

I know Colin (seesee) uses a 7D and I myself am receiving my 7D today. I own and use a 50D, but the 7D will become my main camera with 50D as back-up. Will let you know what I think of the cam coming from the 50D once I have tested it out a bit.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hoppy,

A friend of mine uses the 7D for sport & wildlife. I've seen many of his basketball images where the iso is high.
    No noticable noise and he says the AF is excellent. I'm considering getting one myself.

Btw, Where are you going in Africa?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Been using my 7D for about 2 months now and am rapt ! I'm primarily a Nikon user but bought the 7D and 500mm lens purely for wildlife, a bit of a learning curve for me, but the camera design makes it almost foo lproof. I have had no focus issues at all, in fact it's spot on and quick...8 fps burst mode is a great bonus, although I rarely use it to the full extent. I as a matter of habit dont generally use the full gammut of focus selection points, but usually just the central ones and recompose as necessary. Seems to handle hard colours like reds very well and fairly easy controls. Ended up buying a new better PC to handle the large file sizes as the 18 mp sensor needed better. The menu is quite easy, a lot of features I'll never use, but easy enough to navigate the various common functions.

To be honest I haven't really tested out high ISO noise handling, but at ISO 640 which is about max I'd ever use, it seems to handle noise very well at those settings. At ISO 400 - 500 zero noise shows up, I leave my 7D camera at ISO 400 as a default setting. One can get away with bigger crops with better quality too, but that is also dependant upon the glass in front too.

My only nitpic would be build quality, it feels a bit " clunky".....just a bit, but I;m used to Nikon....I do believe Nikon has it over Canon in build quality in all honesty...I just hope the Canon proves reliable unlike the error 99's that palgued the 40D's.

You'll love the 7D though
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Grant (Pictorella) also has one. I hope you take lots of memory cards to Africa as you may be tempted to try the HD movie mode on some of the 'Big 5' as well.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Gotta tell ya the HD movie mode is very good, never thought I'd say it but, glad it's on the camera. Sharp as a tack and so simple to activate ...just one button to push. I've started using it in between still shots as an extra record for a particular species...just a short video footage to compliment a nice bird shot with of course the benefit of more angles to view on a moving subject.....good stuff. Might even purchase an off camera microphone to do some recording of bird sound along with the footage.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by seesee
    Gotta tell ya the HD movie mode is very good, never thought I'd say it but, glad it's on the camera. Sharp as a tack and so simple to activate ...just one button to push. I've started using it in between still shots as an extra record for a particular species...just a short video footage to compliment a nice bird shot with of course the benefit of more angles to view on a moving subject.....good stuff. Might even purchase an off camera microphone to do some recording of bird sound along with the footage.
    Yeah I'm looking forward to getting a body with this feature too Colin. Let me know how you go with the microphone - I've also been thinking the same thing. I'm sure some good sound recordists out there would offer some opinions!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Everyone thanks for the replies, I'll try and chase all the users up.

@ Colin, thanks for the information, seems like the majority of focus issues are related to those that find it to focus properly at all over a range of lenses.
    My wife will be using it primarily with the 100-400 and possibly the 70-200/4. There is also some chat about being very careful with technique as camera shake is more previlant with the higher pixel density and also exposure is more finicky. Glad you like it though. I shoot Nikon, have a D700 and will be getting the D300s as my second body.

@ Geoff We will have 5 days staying with friends in Victoria Falls, the 11 days Botswana followed by 12 days Namibia. Certainly looking forward to it. I know you have been so any tips greatly appreciated.

The movie mode on the 7D certainly appeals as well. Another reason for me getting a D300s vs the D300. We certainly would have liked to capture some video, for the sounds as much as anything else on our last wildlife oriented trip.

The purchase of the 7D is dependant on selling the 50D, so I wanted to be sure we are making the right choice.

Thanks again
    Hoppy

An SLR always has the wrong lens on

http://www.romarimages.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe
    Quote Originally Posted by seesee
    Yeah I'm looking forward to getting a body with this feature too Colin. Let me know how you go with the microphone - I've also been thinking the same thing. I'm sure some good sound recordists out there would offer some opinions!

All good fun mate !...I've been getting a blast from watching some of the video shots, some amusing and interesting behavioural scenes can be captured. Took a good one of the juvenile GST chasing off Red-brows from it's bathing pool...funny little bugga.

HD movie mode = way to go

Yes, have been using for around a year. Great camera. Tracks birds in flight nicely and is a good alround nature camera.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The thing to remember about taking video with the 7D is that it doesn't autofocus on moving subjects. Which is fine if the bird isn't moving much, or you're a little bit away from the bird, but not good if you have the bird moving around as you'll have to manually focus all the time.