Thread: Camera Equipment Insurance

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Camera Equipment Insurance

Hi all,

I was not sure which forum to post this in, however as it relates directly to camera equipment, I thought I would put it in here.

I have built up a fair amount of photography gear and that is about to grow with the addition of the 7D and Canon 500f/4 in the next few weeks or so. As such, I really need to think about insuring the equipment. I thought it might be covered under the house and contents insurance, but not entirely sure as the company does not seem to be able to give me much advice.

I was wondering if anybody can recommend a good company for camera insurance; I am not a pro so cant afford to pay very high premiums. Protecsure offers a 3 year premium of just over $1,900 for 3 years coverage of $20,000 worth of gear - has anyone heard of or had any dealings with this company?

Many thanks!
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Camera Equipment Insurance

I use NRMA and they let me add additional items to my contents insurance to be covered outside the home. I have about $9,000 additional cover for all my camera gear and it costs me about $30 extra per month.

I've never had to claim so I can't tell you what they're like if something does get damaged but I'm sure others can.

Cheers
    Craig.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I have all my gear insured for professional use with AIS Insurance Brokers - based in Melbourne and underwritten by Lloyds of London.
    It costs me about $1300 a year for over $35K worth of gear. (i also have my laptops listed on this policy)
    Excess is only $200 per claim and they are efficient with paying out which i have now done 3 times with them.
    Last company i was with some years ago took 6 months and phone calls to the general manager to settle an $800 claim (after they took the $500 excess)!
    Gear is covered for Aus and NZ and includes accidental damage. (i also have public liability etc with them too)
    call George Roth on 03 8699 8867 (and tell him i sent you )
    http://www.aisinsurance.com.au
    Sorry if this sounds like an ad - i get nothing at all from them. I have just been super impressed with their price and service for years.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I have mine as extra 'portable' items on my contents insurance. Extra cost is bugger all ($28 dollars). I actually had to claim last year when I drowned my 350D on the back of a fire truck. Insurers were good (NRMA), but I did need to push a little to get the upgrade I wanted. They were going to get me a 1000D and replacement lens (28-105 was actually still ok) but I asked if I could forego the lens and get the 40D instead. They were happy and they sent the cheque to qualitycameras in WA (who actually sent me the camera 2 weeks before they got the cheque).
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Yep i have it listed on my contents insurance, cost bugger all extra and covers the gear anywhere in oz.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I have mine listed with my home policy with Shannon's. Not entirely sure if it's the case out here, but you regularly read on US forums if the insurance company gets a sniff you have any income from the gear they'll deny liability.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Pays to ask your own insurance company what and where it will be covered, they all seem to have their own "little" loopholes to try on.

I have about $30,000.00 coverage for my camera gear which goes on top of our house and contents insurance, costs about $130 extra a year f0r the policy. {we do all our home + car insurance through a broker and premiums are much cheaper strange as it may seem}
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin