Thread: Tripod legs questions

Default Tripod legs questions

OK, have been googling for hours on selecting a tripod {just legs} to mount my new Wimberly gimbal series 2 head onto, and Canon 500mm f4/L IS USM , Total weight of lens and head approx 5.5kgs. Ideally from what I've read the appropriate legs should be without a centre column arrangement as a centre column makes for another flex point particularly with long primes like a 500mm or 600mm, can others confirm this.

Dont wish to skimp too much, but the price of the best leg sets exceed well over $1000.00, and generally are not light weight for trekking through the bush. I wish to limit the cost to no more than $1000.00 approx. A lot of the Mag Fibre ones I've googled from Slik, Gitzo, Velbon, Benro are lighter, but not recommended for long primes.....seems light weight means less stability for long primes.

I've narrowed it down to possibly the Gitzo 1505 Systematic which from Vanbar is under $1000.00, but it's aluminium and not a lightweight. Any other suggestions for knowledgeable birding fraternity here aside from this unit. Max $1000.00 suggestions please, and Australian supplier as anything over $1000.00 from OS attracts more import duties and just is not worth the trouble.....taa muchly
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Tripod legs questions

What's wrong with the Gitzo 3530LS? Dave mentioned it in your other post on tripod heads.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffG
    What's wrong with the Gitzo 3530LS? Dave mentioned it in your other post on tripod heads.
    That's what i was going to say Geoff!
    Seesee i have the same lens and the Mongoose head on the Gitzo 3530LSV. An aussie distributor i know bought up the entire stock of the gitzo importers stuff and flogged it off cheap and i managed to get this for $1000 AU. Birds As Art at the time would have been a bit over teh $1K but with the current exchange rate it would be weill worth looking at. If your looking at getting a top set of legs you may as well go a little bit above that figure if you need to. You'll regret in the long term not getting the best legs you can. Otherwise you might as well just keep the legs you have now til you can afford them.
    Definitely love not having a centre column and the weight (or lack thereof) is amazing!! The twist action to lock/unlock is also fantastic and no slower than the clip locking action on my Manfrotto 055B. Between this tripod and the Mongoose head they are the best purchases i have made on tripods - and i've made a few!

https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=20
    $725US which should be less than $800AUD at the moment. Even with shipping and gst it should be less than $1K
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Thanks muchly for the repilies, I've gone for the Gitzo 1505 systematic and awaiting delivery.
    Repost at will......Cheers from Colin