Thread: The difference a lense protector makes.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default The difference a lense protector makes.

I took Pauls's advice from another thread, and took my lense protector off my camera to see it that was the reason for the blurry images I got last Monday.
    I honestly wasn't expecting too much of a difference, but the difference between using one and not using one are very contrasting.

Putting aside the lack of sharpness, the subject not being presented well, these two shots were taken directly after one another, with probably about a 20sec gap at most. I'm astounded at just how much colour I was loosing with the lense protector on.
    I didn't change any settings on my camera, or do any PP editing other than crop them about 33%.

Photo with the lense protector on.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: The difference a lense protector makes.

And the photo with the lense protector off.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Interesting comparison, Mark. What brand and quality of lens protector (I assume that it was a U.V. filter) were you using ? I purchased a Hoya U.V. Pro Digital when I got my Canon 100 - 400 thinking that it would be superior to the garden variety U.V. filters and, therefore, not result in much image degradation. Perhaps I'll run a similar comparison to determine whether I got value for money.

Thanks for posting this informative thread.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

George - I did the same thing with the same lens and filter (are you sure you're not me?! ) and was happy with it for a while, but then started noticing some diagonal streaking in the backgrounds. The subject was generally ok (well, as good as I get them! ) but the background had weird streaking. Someone here noticed and commented on it, I tried out their solution (remove the filter) and hey presto - problem solved. I wasn't getting direct image degradation like Mark was, but it has made an improvement on my shots. I'm at work at the moment (2 hours and 55 minutes to holidays!) so can't upload anything right now, but if you look at my last few posts you'll see a few examples.
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

George, it's a HOYA UV Guard. I couldn't tell you anymore than that as I don't have the box it came with anymore.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great to hear that has made a difference mate. There is no real need for lens protecters or UV filters (no matter what quality they are) on lens these days if you look after your front lens element and use a lens hood. Putting any extra glass in front of your lens is just going to create problems like you have been having and any problems you have which you think a UV filter will fix are easily fixable in post production anyway.
    Troy, that was me that commented on those diagonal streaks in your pictures. I'm glad you took the advice, I have been through it all with filters etc and they are always going to produce a weaker image. I found out the hard way after 3 months of shooting with one on and did'nt want anyone to go through the same crap 8-)

Cheers, Paul Randall

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Well, that means I owe you a beer Paul! Cheers mate!

I still have my UV filter on the macro lens and don't have the same issue... never have... so I'll keep it on that one. I don't always affix the hood on that lens so it's probably for the best.
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

You probably won't have a problem with the macro unless you are shooting something pretty bright or the sun is reflecting on to the lens.