Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "MEET A MEMBER" #8 Gerard Satherley

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default "MEET A MEMBER" #8 Gerard Satherley

This week's MAM likes to dabble in the dark arts Yes, like our previous MAM participant Geoff Longford), Gerard Satherley shoots NIKON
    Gerard, like many of us, is a very passionate bird photographer. He is also one of the Feathers & Photos crew members responsible for helping to maintain the site. Gerard generously shares his knowledge and knowhow on both the F&P Forum and also his personal website Gerard Satherley Photography . Gerard hails from NSW but is really at home out in the field with his eye to the viewfinder framing up some of Australia's natural beauty.

What is the first thing you think of in the morning?

Starting with a trick question? It’s sad, but it’s usually whether the weather is good for photography.

Why were you attracted to avian photography?

A love of birds since childhood, plenty of challenging subject matter and the ability to incorporate bird photography with my passion for travel.

What was the first bird you photographed? Did you know what species it was?

Not sure, but it was probably something like a swamphen in Centennial Park, Sydney. I would have known its common name.

What is it about avian photography that keeps you coming back for more?

The challenge of getting a good image and getting into the outdoors as much as possible.

Which nature photographers are you most inspired by? Why are they such an inspiration?

There are a lot of photographers on this site that inspire me. It could be their technical excellence, their passion or the overall appeal of their images that I find inspirational. If you look at my website links
    page
    you see some of my current favourites. Anyway here’s a few whose work is always inspirational.
    The master of the Set-up: Alan Murphy.
    Chris van Rooyen creates images with great impact.

What was the first camera & lens combo you used for avian photography?

This would have been a Fuji Pro1 Digital (6MP) + Nikkor 300mm f/4

What is your current kit? Why did you upgrade?

Nikon D300, D7000, Nikkor 500mm f/4, Nikkor 300mm f/4, Nikkor 70 -200mm f/2.8, Nikkor 12-24mm f/ 1.4 TC and 1.7 TC. Plus a cupboard full of accessories.
    I’m a bit of nerd, I like having the latest gadgets. I’ll be up grading shortly, hopefully to a D400 or D800.

Do you prefer to shoot in the morning or afternoon? Why do you prefer this part of the day.

I don’t have a preference as long as the light is good. Sometimes the location will dictate the best time.

When the light turns bad do you end the session?

Not always especially if I’m travelling and there is the possibility of a new bird. What is bad light? Maybe it should be difficult light. Unless it’s overcast I would normally only photograph for a few hours after sunrise and a few before sunset. I don’t think I have a decent shot that was captured when the light was harsh.

When you’re out in the field and a bird presents itself, are there times when you don’t press the shutter button? If so could you explain when and why?

I don’t bother photographing ferals or birds on man-made perches, just not my thing. I would also hesitate if the background was distracting or the light was coming from the wrong direction. There are also times when absorbing what is happening before your eyes is more important than capturing an image. To get a killer image you need to know your subject, so you need to observe it first.

Have you any interests besides birds when it comes to photography?

I’m happy photography anything in the natural world. When I started out getting serious about photography it was landscapes that were my main focus.

Do you have a dream location where you would love to spend a week (or longer) photographing the native animals?

At the moment it’s probably the area around Paluma in North Queensland. We were washed out last year. There are plenty of birds in a beautiful habitat.

Do you have a favourite location? If so where is it?

It keeps changing; when I first started it was the Capertee Valley, then Bowra, then Kilcowera, then Lake Cargelligo....it’s a moving feast.

How often do you get out to photograph birds?

My wife and I spend 4 to 6 months a year travelling with the main focus being photography. When I’m at home I try and get out a couple of times a week. If I have a particular species I’m working on I might spend a few solid days trying to achieve a few good images.

What are you trying to portray in your work?

Firstly I want to achieve technical excellence and then ideally I want to create a unique image in which the subject is demonstrating some sort of behaviour. I have a great collection of portraits and birds on sticks so I have a long way to go. My bird photography is a work in progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	18844
    Last edited by Gerard Satherley; 05-06-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added images

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great to get to know more about you Gerard Always enjoy your interviews Chris, questions are great and give a great idea of both personality and photographic points.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Love these interviews! Great job guys. Love the penguin shot too Gerard!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Another great interview, I wish I could spend 4-6months a year birding
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great stuff Chris and Gerard! Yes, I am very envious too! I would be happy with a few hours birding a week!

Gerard - if you have any further plans to visit Paluma, please let me know as it is only 4hrs drive North of me, so I would probably try drive up to say hello for a day or two
    Last edited by Dale Mengel; 07-06-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great interview and wonderful to learn more about you and how you work Gerard.
    'Birds are beautiful because they are beautiful to themselves' Richard Prum
    My Flickr stream
    My astronomy site Clouds of Magellan Observing Guide

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Gerard, nice to know a bit more about you and your photography.
    Kind regards Trevor.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Greetings Gerard. I've really enjoyed the photos you have posted.
    Cheers, Owen.

Flickr

Aus life list: 472 (Southern Royal Albatross, Port Fairy Pelagic, Victoria)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Keep up the good work Gerard and thanks for the insights.Go Nikon.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Nice work folks. Good to hear a bit about you Gerard. Nice photos. Another great interview Chris. Thanks as always

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for this Chris and Gerard. Nice to get to know you.
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great interview and it was great to meet you at Barren Grounds recently, really look forward to the next time. I also really like your website and all the quality images.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nice to learn a few more things about you, Gerard. I'm always impressed with the superb quality of your images. Travelling for 6 months per year sounds like a great lifestyle. Another excellent interview by Chris.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

sounds like you are living the dream. Keep up your great photos
    Great interview

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Terrific Gerard - your images always top notch and great to have you on the forum cheers David Taylor