Thread: Lumix FZ100 telephoto conversion lenses

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Lumix FZ100 telephoto conversion lenses

I know everyone here has DSLR cameras but i thought some might have also had experience with point and shoot cameras. I've got a Lumix FZ100 and would love to get a DSLR but the cost for a DSLR set up is just far to expensive for me. I find that at the lower zoom ranges it can still get quite good quality photos but once it gets around 15-20x the images are not sharp and quality lacks.

In about a months time I will be going to the simpson desert with my family and hope to do a lot of bird and wildlife photography so I was looking at getting a telephoto conversion lens for the FZ100 for a bit more reach with images that are still fairly crisp. I have looked at the Panasonic DMW-LT55 1.7x and the RaynoxDCR-1541PRO 1.54x, both seem good and i have found them on ebay for between $200-300.

[top]

If anyone has had experience with these or any other telephoto conversion lenses for point and shoot cameras especially regarding image quality help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lachlan

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Lachlan, I used to use a CanonS3IS and a Canon 1.4 teleconversion lens. It gave very good results. From memory the S3IS only zoomed to 12X. I think you'll find that no matter by what means you get the magnification once you start to go too high the quality will deteriorate. I once bought a Raynox2.2X lens for the S3IS, one of my biggest wastes of money ever. I think I'd stick to just your camera alone, bear in mind that each multiple of magnification equates to 50mm of full frame focal length, so using your camera at 12X optical zoom you are approximating a 600mm lens. I'd save my money if I were you and concentrate on 1) shortening the distance between you and your subject,2) trying to be out while the lights good and keeping the sun behind you if possible 3) camera stability, tripod, log, rock, car. Enjoy the trip
    Kind regards Trevor.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorM View Post
    bear in mind that each multiple of magnification equates to 50mm of full frame focal length, so using your camera at 12X optical zoom you are approximating a 600mm lens.
    Thanks Trevor, for the specifications for the FZ100 it says the 24x zoom it has is equivalent to a 600mm focal length which would mean that each 1x magnification is 25mm and i would have to be twice as close to the subject than what you would be thinking. I find that to get a full frame shot (which is usually necessary for IQ) of a medium-small size bird i have to be within 2-3 of it. This is usually only possible with the semi-tame birds that visit my back balcony and i imagine would be quite difficult with wild birds in the desert especially with lack of vegetation for cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorM View Post
    I think you'll find that no matter by what means you get the magnification once you start to go too high the quality will deteriorate.
    If this is true that at longer focal lengths with the telephoto converter will be just as bad as without it then i guess it doesn't matter anyway, i will just have to turn ninja

Thanks, Lachlan
    Last edited by Lachlan Hall; 27-05-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi again Lachlan, no doubt the manufacturers are correct with their lens comparison ....they certainly wouldn't understate their cause, they probably start their magnification multiple from the widest angle rather than a' normal' view whcih is regarded as corresponding to the human eye. Yes go Ninja, take a small folding chair and sit quietly in good spots ie near food or water, wear neutral clothing, some camo netting??
    Attached are 3 photos taken with the S3IS they were taken in, frogmouth -suburban yard sitting on an awning, Superb fairy wren - garden edging of a carpark, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet - suburban garden.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	juz3200.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	18642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	juz0894.jpg 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	18643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	juz2015.jpg 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	18644
    Kind regards Trevor.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Lachlan, I have a Lumix FZ35 and got a Nikon TC-E15ED for it with a Permeraal adapter, it seemed to work quite well, I don't use it anymore. I don't know if Nikon still make it or if it will fit your camera, Panasonic also make a telephoto conversion lens for this camera, http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...cessories.html Hope this helps.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Margret, thanks for replying, my main concern was how much the telephoto conversion lens would effect the image quality, how did you find the images that it produced? Also i don't have to much problem with the reach of the FZ100, just that at the full focal length the IQ is very degraded. I was hoping to be able to use a teleconverter on a smaller zoom setting on the camera but Trevor mentioned that this would be just as bad. Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks, Lachlan
    Last edited by Lachlan Hall; 03-06-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Lachlan, I am attaching an image taken with this combination, it is straight from the RAW file, no editing, a better photographer would get a better result as this was hand held and I am not the steadiest person in the world hold a camera, it was purely a grab shot. Trevor knows so much more than I do about such things. I don't use the camera anymore as I am not satisfied with the quality after using a DSLR, I am still chasing that perfect shot. It might be right for what you want and the FZ100 is probably a better camera than mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000539.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	299.9 KB 
ID:	18797

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The specs were: 1/125s @ f/7.1, AP, ISO 80 Focal length 86.4 (I don't think it took into account the TC)