Thread: full size sensor

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default full size sensor

Just wondering if you still retain good image quality when you crop on full frame? Looking at getting the 5d mk 111. Jack.
    Jack Shick
    Sea to Summit Expeditions

www.lordhoweislandtours.net

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Being a 22.3 meg , it should hold up very well Jack
    though many still have a passion for the 7D for birding work
    did you have other planned uses for it ?? seems an lot of extra money
    for some advantages. I have not seen a great amount of wildlife or birding
    captures with it yet but its still early. I still drool over the 7D but it one camera
    you have to really get to know its operation. Brian GC, has posted a few captures
    with one, shoot him a pm . has been said though the 5DMk 111 has awesome low light
    capability. here is a Photo review on the 5D
    http://www.photoreview.com.au/review...ii-full-review
    cheers Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Think we may be in similar boats Jack. Still struggling to find a 1Dmk4? \

Im also considering the 5D3 but have the same questions you do; no one replied in the other thread regarding the FF vs APS-C and results of cropping.

another comprehensive review here
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx
    DRW Photography
    Follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Jack, yes it crops just fine and the image quality is fantastic.

I upgraded to the 5D Mk3 from the 1D Mk3 and it's a considerable improvement. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is too small, so I need the grip. That though is only now becoming available. The other limitation of it is that you lose autofocus with a teleconverter at f/8, but that's not an issue for most.
    "the responsible thing to do -- the enlightened 21st century thing -- is to pony up your money and your time and save them. Because they are birds; and that is more than enough reason for anybody." - Colleen Mondor

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I use a full frame Nikon.Only 12mp but blows up very well if the ISO is lowish.You also get all your wide angles back.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for that guys, I will be using it for landscape and weddings. All the reviews look good. Yes Dwel I did find a new mk4 but over 5K so give that one a miss. Cheers Jack.
    Jack Shick
    Sea to Summit Expeditions

www.lordhoweislandtours.net

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hows this guys....and this is with the old 5D mkI (12mp). Not sure whether it would look as good printed but sure stood up well for web presentation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20111207_1903a.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	18579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20111207_1903.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	18580

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I upgraded to the 5D Mk3 from the 1D Mk3 and it's a considerable improvement.
    Hi,
    I have been looking at these two cameras and expected the 1D Mk3 to be better for bird photography based on considerably more fps, 1.3x sensor and auto focus at f8. Can you explain the improvements please, as I have not had any experience with these cameras.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Ultimately the advantage of a full frame camera given equivalent pixel quality is that it gathers more light that is more total photons to capture the image, with about the saem noise base so image quality from a noise aspect is superior if you fill the frame. If you can't fill the frame it's another story.

If your bird is at a fixed distance, then the only thing that matters is the quality of the pixels. In general the quality of the pixels makes a step improvment with each generation of sensor. So comparing a 7D with a 5D MkIII they are about 2 years or a generation or so apart. So for a given output size (that is to say a given print or web image size) the 5D MkIII will be a stop or so better in terms of noise comapred to a 7D. This is a different story at 100% view on your monitor as the smaller pixels on a 7D individually won't perform as well. But in general you don't look at images at 100% on a monitor unless you are pixel peeping and its the final output that counts.

Getting back to other issues, the FPS on the 5D will be lower of course, but the AF is reported to be a big improvement. The 1D MkIII had reported issues with the AF, some people seem to do fine with them others have all sorts of issues. The 1D MkIV seems to be showing up a bit on Ebay at teh moment and prices seem to be around $3000-$3500, the AF on that camera gets much better reports.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks chrisross,
    It would be interesting how a full frame sensor image blown up 1.3x compares to the 1D Mk iv (ie photo taken from the same distance using the same fixed lens). I am still using the grandfather (20D), so any upgrade will be a big improvement. Sort of torn between second hand 1Dmk4, 5dmk3 and future 7D replacement (not in any hurry). I love lots of FPS, but would also love to print a life size photo of something like a wedge tailed eagle wing span! There are always trade offs, a large image on a FF camera does seem the best option for image quality without a doubt, but not always practical. I also noticed all the second hand 1D Mk iv's coming on the market, I am patiently waiting to see what the specs on a 7D action photography replacement will look like!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Be hard to go wrong with a 1D IV if it's in your budget. The 5D III would be slightly btter image quality but you are getting into diminishing returns there. I'd say the 7D replacement should be about equivalent to a 5D III in pixel quality, they may go for more megapixels which will only serve to fill up your hard drive for little gain. Just need to pick and choose which ones you go for on Ebay, there's quite a few that haven't seen pro use and are in great shape.

A full frame or 1.3x (actually it's closer to 1.25x) will always be better IMO if the pixels are more or less equivalent, with them you can crop down to get a good imagepretty much equivalent to what you would get with the 1.6x, but if you manage to get closer your only option with the 1.6x is to take a few steps back.

Having said all that unless you lens is up to it you won’t get the full advantage apart from a cleaner image with the new cameras till you upgrade your glass. With Canon that basically means L glass.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

There's a few reasons why I think the 5D Mk3 is better than the 1D Mk3.
    * The 1D Mk3 is approaching 6 years old. The improvement in sensor technology in the 5D Mk3 makes the image quality considerably better IMO.
    * The 5D Mk3 also has HD video and liveview, as well as a far better LCD, all little improvements and there are quite a few others.
    * As for the fps, the 5D Mk3 is 6 fps, whereas the 1D Mk3 is 10 fps. For my use, 6 fps is more than enough, although I acknowledge for some it may not be.
    * I don't think the 1.3 to full frame sensor is an issue either as the 22mp allows you to crop, as Chris mentioned, to the same image size as you would get with the 1D Mk3.
    * The loss of autofocus with a teleconvertor at f/8 is an issue, but not big enough to outweigh the benefits. The new 1D-X is the same, as far as I know.
    * The big advantage though, again as Chris mentioned, is the autofocus. It is a huge improvement over the 1D Mk3.

How it compares to a 1D Mk4 though, I don't know. Some of these differences will be less noticeable than against the 1d Mk3, although I think the image quality of the 5D Mk3 is better than the 1D Mk4. I had the opportunity to get either the 5D Mk3 or a 1D Mk4, but went with the 5D as the 1D Mk4 is 4 years old. The improvements in image quality with the new sensor was enough for me (plus, the 5D Mk3 is weatherproof as well).
    "the responsible thing to do -- the enlightened 21st century thing -- is to pony up your money and your time and save them. Because they are birds; and that is more than enough reason for anybody." - Colleen Mondor

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Looking forward to the Camp Out in July as we should be able to do some direct comparisons of all these cameras. Rick from Canon will be bringing 5DmkIII and also 1DX. I'll bring a couple of 1DmkIVs too
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21