Thread: FLASH

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default FLASH

G'ay all.
    As most of you will know I have bought myself a new 430EX11 canon flash. I was hoping for some tips on how to use it properly.
    Thanks.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

G'day Rev, congrats on the purchase mate! They are a great little flash. I have the bigger brother in the 580 EX II. Stick to ETTL mode - no real need to worry about any other modes. It will sync well with your camera and use your camera's metering system. If you are using fill flash, then turn the high-speed sync on (the button with the crooked arrow and "H" next to it) and have the flash output at around -1 to -2; this will vary though so you will have to play around until you get the strength you want. This allows the flash to fill in the shadows and work at higher shutter speeds (above 1/250s). Set zoom to 50mm if using a Better Beamer (they recommend this setting - not sure what affect it actually has).

If you are using flash as your main source of light, then it's exactly the same except you don't have high-speed sync enabled. All you have to worry about is the strength of your flash in both circumstances (and of course your camera settings). If the flash output is too high, then drop it back on the flash itself. If it is still too high, then just drop your ISO back, increase your aperture (smaller aperture) or increase the shutter speed.

For owl photography, I usually set the aperture around f/8-f/11, shoot in manual mode and set a shutter speed of around 1/125s or thereabouts, and use ETTL flash mode at about -1 as a starting point and go from there.

As you were using a flash that required you to manually control the flash, the 430EXII will be a lot easier to use as ETTL uses your camera's metering system to achieve exposure - all you have to worry about is the strength of the flash output really; everything else is controlled by the camera.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Dale. I had it on ETTL when I took the pics the other day of the Sittella and the RWFW also the G Whistler I put up today. I didn't know anything about fill flash , so thanks again for the info. Practice ....

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Practice is the best thing you can do. I had no idea with flash when I first bought it, but ETTL is pretty much fully automatic, so you don't have to worry about much at all. Those images you took turned out well, so you're already on the right road!
    Follow me on Facebook

5. The following user says thank you to Dale Mengel for their reply:

Ray Walker (21-05-2012)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Ray, My advice is make sure you always go out with a fresh set of batteries fully charged
    Last edited by Richard Jackson; 21-05-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: can't spelll
    Richard Jackson
    http://www.owlphotographer.com/
    your comments and suggestions are welcomed

7. The following user says thank you to Richard Jackson for their reply:

Ray Walker (21-05-2012)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Dale, when using high speed sync, do I use manual mode and set the S/S at 400 to match the lens?

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

For my use with fill-flash I rarely use manual, I use aperture priority (99% of the time I shoot in Av). Set the flash to high speed sync and the flash will fire at whatever the shutter speed is at the time in Av mode. In high speed mode the flash can fire above the 1/250s sync speed restriction so you can shoot in daylight conditions (where 1/250s would result in a very overexposed image!) and have the flash fire at shutter speeds over 1/250s.

It's just like using the camera in 'normal' operation but with the flash providing a little fill light. Of course, dial the flash output down (or up) as needed for the situation. This is something that comes from experience at judging a scene and a lot of practice. A good general starting point however, would be around -1 to -2 flash exposure compensation, it's in this range where you'll most likely find yourself as it often provides a good balance between lighting the subject without looking over-flashed.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Rich. What I mean is , if you are in the shade ( mangroves for eg) and your s/s is only 80 /100, would the flash up the s/s or do you put it in manual and set the s/s yourself at 400?

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Ray,
    If you shooting manually and are in a dark environment and the available light only gives you a meter reading SS of 1/60th for example, putting the SS up to 1/400th is going to make the flash the main light and the "background" will be more than 2 stops underexposed. This will result in the flash being very much the main light with little/no ambient. Sometimes that is fine but it won't give you that FILL flash look. To get a fill flash feel you would need to have the SS set at 1/60th and the flash a stop or more below that (negative flash compensation as Dale described).
    If you are in Program mode then the camera will automatically try to up the SS speed to a "safe" speed because it knows you have the flash on and will use it as the main light. Using Av as Rich said will keep the SS to match the available light and the flash will become fill.
    Hope that makes sense mate - its late and i need to go to bed!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

12. The following user says thank you to David Stowe for their reply:

Ray Walker (22-05-2012)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Dave and Rich have summed it up well, Rev. For fill flash, I too shoot aperture priority most of the time as the flash will sync with whatever the shutter speed ends up being. I only shoot manual if flash is going to be my main light source (e.g. owl photography at night, or shooting under dense rainforest). For fill flash, I usually just turn high-speed sync on, shoot aperture priority and the flash will sync with whatever the shutter speed is - you will just have to adjust the flash EV/EC so that you don't overflash (or under flash).

So for me - fill flash = high speed sync and ETTL (flash) and aperture priority (camera), adjusting the flash EC as needed (you will want a negative flash EC most of the time).
    Flash as main light source = ETTL (flash), manual mode (camera). Your flash will then sync to whatever SS you have chosen (in the case above with fill flash, the flash will sync to whatever SS the camera chooses - providing high-speed sync is turned on if the SS the camera chooses will be above 1/250s).
    Follow me on Facebook

14. The following user says thank you to Dale Mengel for their reply:

Ray Walker (22-05-2012)