Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PhotoTwitch

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default PhotoTwitch

So the Inaugural Australia-wide PhotoTwitch has been and gone, but one thing is clear and that is that everyone who participated found it a great deal of fun. Naturally, we'll hold another one at roughly the same time next year, but many of us feel that the competition shouldn't be limited to one particular day a year. That's what this forum is about, a continuous, not-particularly-competitive phototwitch, on any day of the year that you want to do it. Just pick up your camera, get as many species record shots as possible, and post the results on this forum.

In your posts you might like to include:
    1. a brief description of where you went.
    2. how many hours were involved (preferably 8, to make results reasonably comparable).
    3. the number of species clicked, and perhaps the number of species seen and/or heard.
    4. any other interesting comments or tips about phototwitching
    5. any outstanding photos for the day.
    and of course your bird list.

So get out there and phototwitch. Not only will you enjoy it, but you'll be contributing to an evergrowing body of knowledge about where the opportunities are best for bird photographers.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: PhotoTwitch

Great idea Craig.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

What about making it a bi-annual event? Once around the same time as the first one to get all the migratory birds, and once around April when it's a bit quieter?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I like the idea of just trying to do an 8 hour block any time of the year. And I agree that it is a great opportunity to capture all sorts of behavior as well as being good practice with your camera. 8-)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yeah, I reckon have a designated twitch once a year at the same time, and then have another forum like this where you can post your total (ie record) for any phototwitch including (perhaps) the annual one. That will encourage me to do one sometime once school is finished (in a week, guys!!!) 8-) :cry:
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Can a date be set for the next Twitchathon well in advance so i/others can lock it in and plan towards it? .... Id love to do the twitch next time here in Brisbane ...... a Sunday would be best for me if thats possible - cheers David Taylor

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by theplainswanderer
    Can a date be set for the next Twitchathon well in advance so i/others can lock it in and plan towards it? .... Id love to do the twitch next time here in Brisbane ...... a Sunday would be best for me if thats possible - cheers David Taylor
    First weekend in November - so 6/7 November? depends on the dates of the official twitchathon's, as we had (pretty much?) no-one from Victoria last time round.
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Troy - Sounds a good plan to me - so having the two days does that mean one can do the twitch on either day? David Taylor

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I don't see why it should be totally restricted to the one day - it's still a small "competition", and it's probably best to make it accessible to as many people as could possibly partake. For instance - if it was able to be on either sat or sunday, I probably would've done it on the other day last year, due to the rain.

That said, I'm not the organiser, just a participant, so whoever is organising it (Arron?) makes the final call. I'm not too stressed either way. If it's decided to be a one day event, but I'm working, I'll just do it the next day.

And anyway - there's also the whole "do it whenever you want" thing, so maybe we just have a phototwitch weekend (or week?) where people who can spend 8 hours running around taking photos can under the umbrella of BOz Phototwitch day/weekend/week, spend 8 hours running around taking photos.

Cheers
    Troy
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Troy - I agree with your thoughts - guess just await the decision from the organisers - unfortunately saturday is a work day for me so a Sunday would make it much easier cheers David Taylor

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The Twitchathon date has been announced as the 30/31 of October.

I would hazard a guess that we might make the Phototwitch either the weekend before (will allow peple to use it as a pre-twitchathon survey) or the weekend after the big event.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

It makes sense to do it the weekend before, but I'm personally in favour of the weekend after, as that way I will actually be able to compete.

Damn school exams, in last week of october/first week of november, stopping me competing in twitchathon, and now maybe stopping me competing in phototwitch

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I wont be competing if its held the weekend before twitchathon as this is prime oiling time. The main thing to consider is when the Victorian Twitchathon will be held.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by pictorella
    I wont be competing if its held the weekend before twitchathon as this is prime oiling time. The main thing to consider is when the Victorian Twitchathon will be held.
    Thanks for considering us, Grant. I think ours is usually on the w/e after the NSW twitch.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Just my 2c but wouldn't it be better to separate it as much as possible from the big Twitchathon events? Why do we need to have it so close to them?
    Why not September or late November at least?
    If it were ever to become a big event i think this is an important consideration.
    Like i said - just my 2c worth anyway.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21