Thread: I may be committing the unpardonable sin by asking this one

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default I may be committing the unpardonable sin by asking this one

As most folks know here I have been using a Sony VX-2100 video camera for my parrot film. I have a friend that is 65 and pretty tech savvy overall and she is looking for a point and shoot cam with a decent zoom. I know that folks here are using equipment that is light years away from point and shoot! She usually shoots pics of her husband and family but occasionally of animals when traveling etc. Does anyone know of a top rated reliable point and shoot that has a zoom... lets say greater than 6 x and is around $400 US dollars?

I have read reviews on amazon and elsewhere and its very daunting. On five star ratings you keep getting folks giving 1 star saying how the camera died after a year of being used etc etc.

By the way she loves Canon cameras.

Thanks for any assistance and what would work great is if you guys have personally used the cam and found it to be a winner. Perhaps before your SLR years?

Thanks again for such a great forum and such friendly mates.

Don

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: I may be committing the unpardonable sin by asking this one

Somewhere I can help!

I have been spending the last few months looking for exactly the camera you describe. I have finally ended up with the Panasonic Lumix FZ35 and am very happy with it. The final two cameras I had it whittled down to were the Sony HX1 and the FZ35. The HX1 actually looked like a better camera, particularly for action shots with less noise at higher ISOs, but in the end the spiraling associated cost of owning a Sony (Memory sticks) made me lean towards the FZ35.

You say she loves Canons. I too am a Canon fan having owned a film SLR, Canon G3 and a Powershot model. That being said, from the sample images I have seen and reviews I have read, I would advise against the Canon SX20.

You can see some sample shot/videoss from the FZ35 on my blog listed below. Its no DSLR, but it was definitely worth the $460Au (SDHC card and postage included) I paid for it.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Another 2 Canons to consider are the SX120, and the SX200. Neither are in the hybrid-DSLR range that the SX20 is, but they are both good for simple snapshots. I would consider the SX20 to be a little big to carry around in the pocket.
    The SX120 is also large for a Point and Shoot, but is smaller than the SX20. It has 10mp, a 10x zoom, and can be fully automatic or fully manual, or anything in between. It is only I think A$350, so around US$320 or something.
    The SX200 is 12mp, has a 12x zoom, and is very slim, and small. It is also auto to manual, like the SX120. However, it is expensive: A$500.

Hope this helps

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Sebii and Ashy:

Very helpful folks... I so appreciate your imput! I will submit my research to my friend and see what she says!

Cheers and thanks again!

Don

Image Reposts
    Please ask

(forgive me father for I have answered a sinner, it's been ... etc etc...)

A mate of mine has a SX10 and takes some pretty cool shots. http://www.flickr.com/photos/threthny/ to see what he's done. He mainly does macro and people/landscapes with the odd bit of wildlife.

apart from that, the last non dslr i owned was a fuji something that was ok, but it's slow focusing speed and lack of reach was what made me step up to dslr. so thank you fuji!
    Aus Life List: 508 - Grey-backed Storm-petrel, Sydney Pelagic, 13/8/11
    2011 List: 302 - Channel-billed Cuckoo, Concord, 10/10/11

My photos
    My blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I also have another to rcommend. The A720 is my camera. It is very reliable, and has a 6x zoom. This is probably too low, as you said minimum 6x. It's also only 8mp. However, over the almost two years I have had it, it has been brillinat for me, reliably producing crisp sharp images. I actually don't know if it is stll available though, as it's "so" old (in terms of P+S cameras, a year is all it takes to make a camera old).

Unfortunately, they never continued this line. It was replaced by the SX100 series in '07. The SX110 came out last year, and the SX120, which I mentioned in my previous post, is the most recent.

You mentioned that she was mostly taking photos of people. This means indoor I would mostly assume. Most Canon's have long flash reload time, and the SX120 (apparently), and A720 are no exceptions. I can't comment on the SX10, SX20, or SX200, or anyother, non Canon cameras.

The SX20 would undoubebly be the best camera anyone has mentioned. The bulkyness of it is a major issue though, especialy if she wants to carry the camera in a bag. It is almost a DLSR with a small lens.

Ashwin
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks again folks and Ashy the 720 is still available on amazon.com. It seemed to get a lot of 1 star reviews which had me a bit concerned but overall ranked about 4.5 out of five stars. Sounds like it has been a great cam for you.
    I sent off what I learned to my friend and she seems real stoked now to buy her new camera. She is traveling to Hong Kong so will probably pick one up when she is there.

Cheers!

Don