Thread: canon 1d mk1v

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default canon 1d mk1v

I am thinking of buying a 1d mk1v and would like to know what the process is to change from single point focus to multi point and if it is fast and simple as on the 7d.
    Also am torn between the 5d mk111 and the mk1v but am reluctant to loose the crop factor,lots of my shooting is in low light so I would like a camera for high ISO.
    All advice would be very much appreciated.
    Rosco.
    comments and reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Ross,

The 1D Mark IV is a great camera, but the focus mode is not as easy and straight-forward as the 7D's - this was perhaps people's main gripe with the camera. You have to go into the menu and select from a few different modes such as centre point only, centre point with surrounding points, all 45 points, outer points, etc. Once you select which mode you want from the menu, then selecting the focus point is the same as any other Canon camera - just move the little joy stick and the focus point selected will blink red in the viewfinder.

In terms of low light performance, I expect the 5D Mk III to outperform the 1D4 given the former is full frame. You do lose a bit of frame rate with the 5D though and of course that crop factor. If you want a camera just for high ISO, probably go towards the 5D3; but if sports/action etc is important with a bit of low light shooting, then the 1D4 will probably be the pick (unless you can fork out an excessive amount of money for the 1Dx!!!)
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Just out of curiosity could you assign multi point to a custom function so you just turn the dial? I have Bird in Flight set as C1 on my 7D and I just turn the dial and it is set to multi point, al servo etc. I envy your dilema by the way, the 1dMk4 is the camera I would like.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Just as a note, the 1D4 does not have a dial like 7D, etc have (it is a pro camera, so does not have scene modes, auto settings, etc), so it's not as easy as turning a dial to reach custom settings - you have to go through a menu to do that which is a bit more time consuming.

With regards to the 7D, though, I do the same as Duade except my BIF mode is assigned to C3 (which I usually end up using for stationary birds as well).
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mengel View Post
    Just as a note, the 1D4 does not have a dial like 7D, etc have (it is a pro camera, so does not have scene modes, auto settings, etc), so it's not as easy as turning a dial to reach custom settings - you have to go through a menu to do that which is a bit more time consuming.

With regards to the 7D, though, I do the same as Duade except my BIF mode is assigned to C3 (which I usually end up using for stationary birds as well).
    Thanks for that, never seen a mk4 so good to know. Is the menu as simple as the dial?
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Duade Paton View Post
    Thanks for that, never seen a mk4 so good to know. Is the menu as simple as the dial?
    Hi Duade,

I personally do not find the menu as simple as the dial - I guess it was what I missed the most when I went from the 7D to the 1D4. I must admit, that I rarely use Custom Fuctions now - I usually keep ISO around 400-800, have centre point AF with surrounding point expansion, AI Servo and shoot if Aperture Priority and that is OK for 90% of the subjects. Although with very busy backgrounds and BIF, sometimes better to keep to just the single AF point.

The 7D is almost as capable though; albeit with a bit more noise!
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Please ask

It appears the AF on the 5D III is an improvement, which may be a consideration for you, this linke talks about the AF settings:

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/v...90265784705d14

supposed to be the same as the 1DX AF, which it appears is very good from some pre release tests:

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/v...?f=57&t=216293
    http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/v...?f=57&t=216189
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Ross and Dale,
    I'm not sure what you mean by "single point" and "multi-point" on the 1DIV.
    If you mean "AF expansion", then it's as Dale stated - if you've set one of the expansion options in C.Fn III-8 on the menu, then focussing will be done with one of the expanded points if focus can't be achieved on the selected point.
    If you mean that you want to activate the "ring of fire" for BIF - where all 45 points become active for auto selection (Auto selection first uses the centre-point as priority), then you use C.Fn III-12 "AF point auto selection", options 2 or 0. - When you're out in the field taking pics this gives you access to "multi point selection of the 45 points option" using control wheels or joystick without menu changes. It works even if you have AF expansion disabled.
    The way it works is that you manually select an AF point using the joystick or control wheels, as normal, but when you reach the outside of the selectable points area it cycles through the "all 45 points active via auto selection" as an option before it starts back again on the next scrollable individual AF point. i.e "multi point selection using control wheels or joystick only". It's more complicated to describe in words than it is to set up in the camera and test.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Can't remember what custom function i set up but switching between single point and 45 point AF is as simple as pressing the joystick in. I usually only use single point AF for critical focus but it only takes a fraction of a second to press the joystick in to change to 45 point
    also Ross the 5d might be a reasonable camera in terms of balance between cost, high iso performance and AF etc compared to the 1DmkIV. frame rate is pretty good now too.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - www.flockwildlife.com

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by David Stowe View Post
    Can't remember what custom function i set up but switching between single point and 45 point AF is as simple as pressing the joystick in. I usually only use single point AF for critical focus but it only takes a fraction of a second to press the joystick in to change to 45 point
    also Ross the 5d might be a reasonable camera in terms of balance between cost, high iso performance and AF etc compared to the 1DmkIV. frame rate is pretty good now too.
    Thanks Dave - I never knew that; maybe I have to look at my custom functions again
    Follow me on Facebook