Thread: In depth D800 review.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default In depth D800 review.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/

for those Nikon users out there and all the future Nikon users who haven't seen the light yet.

Not anytime soon for me. I just blew all my money on a new lens.

-H
    Cheers,
    H

https://twitter.com/Manic_Henry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54876436@N08/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

This is an amazing camera for birding.
    I got mine nearly a month ago and have taken so far about 5000 shots (mainly on birds). The IQ from this 36mpix sensor is outstanding, especially in term of sharpness and noise at high ISO. The new AF system (on the D800 and the D4) is by far the best in all Nikon cameras.

Here are a few images :

#1 : 200-400/4, @f/5.6, 380mm, handheld.

Crop 100%

#2 : 200-400/4, @f/4, 400mm, handheld.

Crop 100%

#3 : 600 VR, @f/8, 3200 ISO, handheld.

Crop 100%

#4 : 600 VR+TC-17EII, handheld.

Crop 100%

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Very tempting. I'm still holding out for a D400, however this camera would still be a good option. Maybe that should be a D600 that I'm waiting for :http://nikonrumors.com/category/nikon-d600/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

ISO 3200!!! HOLY MOLY!

Well... I might just wait for a bit and see what else comes out. It is extremely tempting though.

Thanks for posting up those samples.

-Henry
    Cheers,
    H

https://twitter.com/Manic_Henry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54876436@N08/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

That is pretty crazy ISO performance indeed. I have seen some of the images Matthew Jones has posted with the D4 recently and you can see Nikon sure has concentrated on low light performance.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The high ISO performances on this 36mpix sensor are incredible. If you resize the orignal file to a 12 or 16mpix, the IQ (noise, sharpness and colours) will be as good as on a D3s or a D4 !

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Is the relatively low frame rate a problem?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

A great camera for sure, but I'd still choose a D3s if I had the cash right now (also waiting for a D400 but not counting on one appearing). I hear the D4 isn't much improved at all over the D3s. The slow D800 frame rate is not for me, also don't need 36mp. But have seen some killer shots with it from those who are happy with it.

9. The following user says thank you to Rebecca Citroni for their reply:

Mark McGuire (02-02-2013)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McGuire View Post
    Is the relatively low frame rate a problem?
    Last month in Cape York region, I was using the D800 and the D4 (mainly at 10 fps) for birding : the higher frame rate of the D4 didn't help me to get more keepers as the continued focus at 10 fps wasn't accurate 100% for each burst.
    At the end of the day, the keepers rate from both camera virtually was identical !

Personally, I find that the 16mpix from the D4 don't allow much crop as the fine details are not as good as on the 36mpix of the D800.

For me, the D800 is so far the best birding Nikon camera.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca C View Post
    A great camera for sure, but I'd still choose a D3s if I had the cash right now (also waiting for a D400 but not counting on one appearing). I hear the D4 isn't much improved at all over the D3s. The slow D800 frame rate is not for me, also don't need 36mp. But have seen some killer shots with it from those who are happy with it.
    I've also tried the D3s for birding : this is a great camera as far as you don't need to crop or to use converter on f/4 tele lenses (most of time you will crop and/or use converter, even on a 600mm !).
    With the combo 200-400/4+TCx1.4 in the rainforest (or low light conditions), the D3s is unable to quickly and accurately find and lock the focus. The use of the TCx1.7 and TCx2.0 is a real pain on the D3s, even in good light conditions, with the 200-400/4 and 600/4. It's much easier with the D4 and D800 with the same combos in the same conditions. So the keepers rate is much higher than on the D3s.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

After only a week of using it, I've found the D800E to be outstanding in its focusing. It snaps things into focus at F8 with utter confidence, often leaving me distracted by how well it does this. ( ...now where did that bird go?)

Thus far moire is a non event. I was worried about this because of the nature of bird feathers and my taste for close up work.

The 36 megs are of course a landscape photographers dream and for myself, I like to print my bird pictures at Super A3 or A2 size and the megs certainly help me. I usually rely on On One's resize a lot. Thus far, it looks like I'll be a happy chappie.

And one last thought. Dropping pictures down from 36 meg to 12 or 15 meg is the best sharpening and noise reduction you can get. If you see what I mean. :-)

Cheers.