Thread: Surf Coast, VIC

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Surf Coast, VIC

Hi all,

Despite visiting Melbourne a number of times for work conferences over the past few years, I have never found the time to incorporate any 'serious' birding or photography. I sought to make amends for this with my most recent trip (May) by hiring a car and heading down to the Surf Coast for a short 2 day prelude in search of new birds - particularly targeting Striated Fieldwren, Blue-Winged Parrot and Rufous Bristlebird after viewing a series of excellent photos of these species from the area on this site.

Although limited sunshine threatened to limit any photographic success, birds were not in short supply - noteworthy species (at least for a Westerner, life-birds in bold) included Hooded Plover, Pacific Gull and Double-Banded Plover on the coast; Striated Fieldwren, White-Eared Honeyeater, Superb Fairy-Wren, Blue-Winged Parrot, Rufous Bristlebird, Brown Thornbill, European Goldfinch, White-Fronted Chat and Flame Robin in coastal heath/saltbush; and Eastern Yellow Robin, Red-Browed Finch, Crimson Rosella and Grey Goshawk in adjacent woodlands.

A huge thank-you to moderator Geoff Gates for his generous nature and willingness to show me around his special patch of turf - as many of you on here already know, Geoff's a true gentleman and an equally fine photographer! He also offered to show me around the WTP on my final afternoon which I naturally agreed to without hesitation - adding Eurasian Skylark to my list and managing good views of a feeding Black-Shouldered Kite and Glossy Ibis. Looking forward to the next time I'm in Victoria on 'work' duties!

Photos: I know they're a bit rough, but I don't have all of my editing software on my laptop...

Blue-winged Parrot - which, in my attempt to approach via crawling through tall roadside grass, confirmed I have notable allergic reactions to virtually all members of the spinifex genus I have had the 'pleasure' of coming into contact with
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_B5B0414 (1).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	18269

Striated Fieldwren

Name:	_B5B0248 (1).jpg 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	18268

Rufous Bristlebird

Name:	_B5B9990 (1).jpg 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	18271

Pacific Gull

Name:	_B5B0720 (1).jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	18270

Bells Beach at Sunrise (taken w iPhone)

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	18265

Cheers,

Scott McGregor

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Congratulations on the new birds. Some excellent images. I've also benefited from Geoff's generous time guiding me around his patch.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nice work Scotty. Thoroughly enjoyed my time showing you around.

I'm amazed a Sooty Oyc doesn't rate a mention. Must be a common bird in the west.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gates View Post
    I'm amazed a Sooty Oyc doesn't rate a mention. Must be a common bird in the west.
    Well, let's just say more common than Pacific Gull in the parts I tend to frequent!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nice write up and accompanying pics. That part of the world is gold for birdwatching and photography. I'm also a forum member who has benefited from Geoff's generosity.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great report and some awesome images too!
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Anywhere my motorhome wheels take me in Australia.....
    Image Reposts
    Please ask

Superb images...enjoying you're pics...
    Australian Birds Life List : 515 species - All 12 Tassie endemics, Swift Parrot, Orange-bellied parrot, Ground Parrot
    International Birds Life List : 21 species (Ashy ground thrush, Hooded pitta, Pechora pipit, Coppersmith Barbet were highlights of philippine trip 2013)
    To God be the glory for the images i take.....