Thread: Is this Lens any good??

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Is this Lens any good??

Just wondering if anyone can give feed back good or bad on this lens :

[top]Sigma 400mm f/5.6 Telephoto A Lens Pentax Manual Focus

I have the option to buy one at $280 in very good condition with no dust/fungus on glass. I would only be using this for birding as at the moment I can"t afford a new 500mm sigma.

thanks in advance

Charlie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 400mm.jpg  
    Cheers, Charlie
    My equipment: Pentax K-30,Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG HSM

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Sorry I can't offer anything in regards to the whether the lens would be suitable.

Can you live with manual focussing on zippy birds? I know I couldn't .... but there are people who are skilled in MF nature photography......
    Last edited by Chris Martinez; 09-05-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: grammer

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I used to use the Canon version of this lens many years ago on film, it was OK (on film) but focusing is going to be an issue, at f5.6 the view is a bit dim and most DSLRs have fairly poor focus screens optimised for brightness rather than focus snap. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. With due respect you might be better off switching to Canon, basically due to lens availability. You can get a 40D for a comparative song on Ebay, probably $300-$400. A couple of 300mm f4 lenses went for about $900 recently, 400mm f5.6 would be a similar price. A lot more affordable than a sigma 500mm lens.

Your other option would be the Pentax 300mm f4 (1320 at digi direct) plus a 1.4x you would likely need a kenko one as Pentax don't seem to make one.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I agree with Chris, I used the 40D and 400 5.6L and it is a great match and produces some great images. I got my lens for under $1300 grey and the 40D is a great little camera.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I would'nt recommend a manual focus lens for bird photography. A mid range body like the 40D and the 400mm f5.6 is an absolutely killer combo so I would advise a swap to Canon as suggested so might be worth saving your pennies if your are serious about bird photography.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Charlie

This will work really well with your Pentax as a manual focus lens. Use AF.S (ie single shot focus) and in the menu set "Catch in Focus". This acts as a focus trap in that as focus is obtained while the shutter button is depressed, the camera will fire. You can also use this technique for birds in flight. $280 sounds like a good price.
    AdrianMorrison+

7. The following user says thank you to Adrian Morrison for their reply:

Charlie Dangerfield (11-05-2012)