Thread: Three Legs

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Three Legs

I'm just curious to know if anyone is working with the new Series 2 Gitzo Systematic Tripods? Or maybe you are considering the purchase of one?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

i have just considered the purchase of a new Gitzo tripod. My understanding is the NEW version of the systematics (just out) have a different texture/material on the top of the tripod "hub" and a quick release switch for the swift changing of tripod heads with use of a hex screw.

All the same, I bought one of the older versions as it was considerably cheaper than the brand new one.

-H
    Cheers,
    H

https://twitter.com/Manic_Henry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54876436@N08/

Image Reposts
    Please ask

The series 2 new style systematics are superior for heavy duty work as they don't have a centre column which is a point for potential movement even if fully retracted. The systematic tripods are pick of the bunch in my view, even though I have a 3 generations old 1325 model. I'd guess they would good for up to a 300mm f2.8, the 3 series would be preferred for the big guns like the 500mm f4. Here's a post from NSN which might be of interest, it appears the new tripods are much stronger:

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/v...+gitzo+tripods
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks Henry, Chris.

Thanks for the link Chris. I saw that when it was posted a several weeks ago. They sound rock solid.

I'm actually looking at a series 5 model. The GT5532LS Gitzo 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod - Series 5 - The NatureScapes.Net Store - Your Trusted Source for Nature, Wildlife and Outdoor Photo Gear looks suitable for my needs(or wants)! I've been eyeing it off since I saw it on the site.

Just curious to hear reviews etc.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

You're supporting a 600mm aren't you? the 3 series would be fine but the 5 series that little bit solider. You can get the GT3542XLS which is effectively a 3 section tripod in height with the option for a 4th leg section which gets the tripod to 2m fully extended. The advantage there is you can use it like a normal 3 section Gitzo and you can extend an extra leg segment when you're on sloping ground to keep the height which you would lose if you need to retract one of the legs, plus you've got a 2m tripod if you really need it.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages