Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch in a bucket.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Perch in a bucket.

A well known technique for getting birds to land on a nice perch is to strategically place an "Imported Perch" at a location you know a bird frequents. This can often be done fairy easily at a dam or a watering hole where you can simply shove the perch into the dirt to make it secure. Mike Toms told me about using a perch in a bucket filled with sand. You can then move the bucket and perch around to suit your needs.

I was very lucky to stumble across a well frequented watering hole in the bush near my home. It is basically water that runs over a large rock and has lots of rock pools that the birds like to use to take a bath and have a drink. I decided to try the perch in a bucket technique. Mike had shown my some nice lichen covered branches at an old quarry nearby so I went and got the perch and transported it to this new site. I filled the bucket with dirt, placed the perch in the dirt then put some rocks on top to keep it steady. I then placed it near the watering hole but slightly away from other branches to help create smooth bokeh. The birds still prefer to use the natural bush but occasionally will land on the perch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bucketperch.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	18007

How do I get the shots?
    I usually use a portable hide which I purchased off the internet.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Camouflag...ht_2250wt_1396
    I set it up about 4-6 metres away and the birds don't seem to mind it.

Two hides in action capturing the action.

Name:	hidefeather2.jpg 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	18009

Another alternative if you are hiking and don't want to carry the hide with you is using a portable blind. I got mine from here.
    http://www.lenscoat.com/kwik-camo-ph...e6a5a848ccd10a

Here is a shot taken of me using the blind sitting about 4 metres from the perch. I am sitting on a small portable camp chair and using a monopod to hold my 400 5.6L lens steady. The birds don't seem to mind it and will often come and drink just in front of my feet.

Name:	blindfeather.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	18010

A few examples using the above technique.

Name:	yellowtuftedvertfeather.jpg 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	18013

Name:	yellowfacedcloseupfeather.jpg 
Size:	295.3 KB 
ID:	18014

That about sums up how I use the "Perch in a bucket" technique. Hopefully this post helps other beginners out there wanting to photograph birds.

Regards, Duade.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

2. The following user says thank you to Duade Paton for their reply:

Adam Blyth (29-04-2012)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Good story Duade - was interesting to see what other birders get up to. I do have that hide and have used it up north. We are thinking of using to get the Wedge-tailed eagle when I go back up north.

I have found some new spots and cannot wait for spring to see what I can get.

Where did you get the blind hide?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by shelley View Post
    Good story Duade - was interesting to see what other birders get up to. I do have that hide and have used it up north. We are thinking of using to get the Wedge-tailed eagle when I go back up north.

I have found some new spots and cannot wait for spring to see what I can get.

Where did you get the blind hide?
    Thanks Shelley, I got it from here. http://www.lenscoat.com/kwik-camo-ph...e6a5a848ccd10a
    I only got it last Monday after Matthew Jones suggested it. Visibility out of it is a little poor but it seems to work a treat.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Looks like a great little spot, Duade.
    Definitely a "Honey Pot" if ever there was one.
    Have you thought to place a perch in the water? From my experience some birds love a low lying branch that they can sit on and reach the water by leaning down/forward. Not sure what the final product would look like though in regards to BG and general scene. Just an idea

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for sharing this Duade. I haven't even tried putting perches somewhere before.
    Cheers, Owen.

Flickr

Aus life list: 472 (Southern Royal Albatross, Port Fairy Pelagic, Victoria)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the write up. I should definately invest in a hide. Awesome pics.
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Looks like a great little spot, Duade.
    Definitely a "Honey Pot" if ever there was one.
    Have you thought to place a perch in the water? From my experience some birds love a low lying branch that they can sit on and reach the water by leaning down/forward. Not sure what the final product would look like though in regards to BG and general scene. Just an idea
    Chris your exact thoughts were discussed at the end of the session and I will see how I go about doing it. We thought about just putting the bucket on its side and some well placed rocks to hold it in place. I will give it a go this week and see what I come up with.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I'll be keen to hear the results but I have a feeling the birds might take a little while to warm to the idea of this particular perch.
    Hopefully they use it straight away

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I noticed the most favoured perch on the day was a short root stick poking out just above the water probably about 50mm off the water this perch had the birds jossling and pushing each other out of the way with at times 4 or so Yellow-tufted crowded together on a stick which must have been only 100mm long so a stick placed in the water with a branch protruding may be the go perhaps positioned so you could get rock as background...???

Mike

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Brilliant thread Duade!! I reckon heaps of members will learn something from this. Thanks for taking the time mate
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Well I took on board the suggestion made be Chris and the discussion with Matt and Mike and I modified my perch in the bucket. I returned to the quarry and gathered up a number of branches and returned to the watering hole. I ended up going with a shotgun approach and placed several branches in the one bucket with some resting on the side of the bucket with the branch in the water. I stayed for a hour or so after finishing and was happy to see the birds land on the perch on a few occasions. The Yellow-faced took to it pretty quickly as they are bullied from the main watering hole by most of the other HE. I think in a day or two once they get used to it they will use it more. I still have some playing to do and might move the bucket further away from the scrub and a little higher to create a smoother bg.

The revised setup with a Yellow-tufted posing for extra points :-)

Name:	hide-009.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	18032

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'll have to give it a crack. I might get myself a blind as well.
    Cheers,
    H

https://twitter.com/Manic_Henry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54876436@N08/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Duade Paton View Post
    I ended up going with a shotgun approach and placed several branches in the one bucket with some resting on the side of the bucket with the branch in the water.
    Personally, I'd only have one branch in the bucket. You really want the birds to land on the only possible option. That way you can ensure you get the right angle & BG etc and leave your camera pointed at the one perch. Much, much easier, believe me. Also if you can get your hands on one, I've found an upside down milk crate works much better to hold the perch in place and much less weight to lug around.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gates View Post
    I've found an upside down milk crate works much better to hold the perch in place and much less weight to lug around.
    That's a brilliant suggestion. Awesome thread guys, really informative.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Gates View Post
    Personally, I'd only have one branch in the bucket. You really want the birds to land on the only possible option. That way you can ensure you get the right angle & BG etc and leave your camera pointed at the one perch. Much, much easier, believe me. Also if you can get your hands on one, I've found an upside down milk crate works much better to hold the perch in place and much less weight to lug around.
    Milk crate sounds like a great idea will have to try it out. Geoff I have had a single perch for the last month or so however of say 100 birds that visit the spot only a handful would land on the perch as there is too much natural cover and branches to land on. After only an hour with the multiple branches and some in the water the birds using the perch was much higher as a percentage. But I agree 100% with the bg problem and achieving focus when trying to follow the bird is tricky. I may see which branch they prefer and remove unused ones. All trial and error at the moment and as its literally just down the road I have the time to try a few things.