Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "MEET A MEMBER" #5 Paul Randall

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default "MEET A MEMBER" #5 Paul Randall

Paul Randall is an extremely passionate bird photographer residing in Victoria. Werribee Treatment Plant is Paul's home away from home and when he's not helping members on the forum you will most likely find him down on the "Poo Plant" building on his extensive collection of photographs of resident or visiting Melbourne birds.

What is the first thing you think of in the morning?

Do I have to???? Get out of bed I mean, I love to sleep in.

What attracted you to avian photography?

I wanted to share with friends and family what I had been observing through my binoculars. I found birds and their behavior fascinating and thought that others would too.

What was the first bird you photographed? Did you know what species it was?

The first bird I photographed was a New Holland Honeyeater and I knew what it was as I had been birding extensively for two years before getting a camera.

What is it about avian photography that keeps you coming back for more?

I guess the fact that you never know what you are going to find when you go out taking photos is a big factor for me. The combination of bird/ light/ settings/ behaviour etc means that there are infinite possibilities to explore.

Which nature photographers are you most inspired by? Why are they such an inspiration?

Andy Rouse is one of my favourites because he takes very unique images and Art Morris is also a big influence. He literally "wrote the book" on bird photography and his willingness to pass on what he knew/knows to others is an inspiration to me and something I strive to achieve myself as well.
    As for Australian photographers, I am a big fan of the work of Raoul Slater, he has a great eye for unique images and his knowledge of birds is absolutely extensive having grown up with birds around him for all of his life.

If you could choose anyone to join you on a shoot who would that someone be?

My favorite people to join me on a shoot are my partner and son. Some of my favorite spots are those where they can be close by and I can shoot some birds, walk back and muck around with them for a bit and then go shoot some more.

What was the first camera & lens combo you used for avian photography?

First camera was a small Kodak point and shoot with 10x optical zoom. It did me quite well for about two years.

What is your current kit? Why did you upgrade?

Current kit is the Canon 5D (mk I) with either the 600mm f4 or 400mm f5.6 attached. Upgraded for total control over image parameters...something that a point and shoot camera has trouble with.

Do you prefer to shoot in the morning or afternoon? Why do you prefer this time portion of the day?

I do like morning shooting because I feel a little less rushed because the light gets better (until it gets too harsh) but as I revealed in my first answer, I like to sleep in.

When the light turns bad do you end the session?

Never, my camera will always stay out until I get home and I will still be on the lookout for interesting photo opportunities.

Have you any interests beside birds when it comes to photography?

I do enjoy trying my hand at fashion photography and macro photography is another style I try quite often.

Do you have a dream location where you would love to spend a week (or longer) photographing the native animals?

Florida sounds amazing and that would have to be at the top of my list though there are several places in Australia that would rate highly also.

Do you have a favourite location? If so where is it?

It would have to be the Western Treatment Plant here in Melbourne. It never fails to supply interesting bird photography opportunities no matter the light or weather conditions.

How often do you get out to photograph birds?

At least twice a week depending on my schedule.

What are you trying to portray in your work?

It differs from photo to photo. My main aim is to capture something unique and hopefully to develop a style that is my own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20111225_1957.JPG   photo-1.JPG  
    Last edited by Chris Martinez; 22-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Paul - nice to hear about you, and see photots of you. I always value your insights on the forum, even though thus far I haven't been posting much. I found your suggestion of getting hold an idiots guide very helpful indeed. Now all I need is some time! Thanks for all your energies. Keep up the good work. Good luck to you and your family.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Day You can actually thank Margaret for that idea. She told me thats how she first started progressing with photography. Thanks for the interview Chris, hopefully it gives people an insight into my "offline" personality....rather than the grumpy, nit picking, photography "know it all" they see on here

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Good to know more about you Paul. You sure have a ripper local patch to shoot in.
    Cheers, Owen.

Flickr

Aus life list: 472 (Southern Royal Albatross, Port Fairy Pelagic, Victoria)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great to learn a little bit more about you, Paul. I wish I had a local patch like Werribee, not many good birding spots here

Another great interview Chris, I always look forward to them
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nice interview, I would love to get down there one day. Appreciate the contribution made to this forum also, it really is one of the best birding forums around.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Greetings Mr Randall

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nice to finally see what Paul Randall looks like! Great to read your thoughts. Agree on comments about your fantastic contribution to the forum. cheers David Taylor

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great interview Chris, it's a great idea to have these in the forum. And thanks Paul for your advice in the past. I would love to get down to the poo farm one day soon. Regards Coxy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Regards
    Coxy

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Good stuff Paul and Chris, as others have said thanks for your efforts on the forum. Good to see you and know a bit more about you.
    Kind regards Trevor.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks everyone You are all welcome to give me a shout if you are ever down this way. I love showing off my local patch

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nice to learn a few more things about you, Paul. I have enjoyed our outings to 'your' farm. Thanks for all your work on the forum, too.
    Cheers,

George

Life List : 481 (Southern Cassowary, Etty Bay, QLD, Oct., 2016)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Excellent interview, I very much enoyed it.
    I'm with everyone else, wish Werribee was around the corner.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Great read guys! Awesome to learn more about you Paul.
    Aus list 632 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014, finally thanks Matt!)
    Year list 159 (Powerful Owl, Callala Bay, NSW, 01-05-2014)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Nice read Paul and Chris. And again Paul, many thanks for your extraordinary generosity in the session I had with you at the WTP. I really appreciate of your depth knowledge and your passion to share it with great humility and gentleness. And of couorse for all your work on this wonderful forum.
    'Birds are beautiful because they are beautiful to themselves' Richard Prum
    My Flickr stream
    My astronomy site Clouds of Magellan Observing Guide