Thread: Preparing a print of a bird

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Preparing a print of a bird

Hope you guys can help me. I have been asked to supply a tiff file of one of my bird shots to be printed at A3 size. I wish to crop in in raw - it seems to crop at 10x8 - can I change this and what do I change to for A3 size. I use cs5.

I will be leaving in sRGB.

What do you think is the best sharpening method for printing at a large size.

Appreciate any other tips and advice. Its for a competition.

Thanks

Shelley

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Not sure if PSE10 is the same but if it is try this.
    Select crop tool cange aspect ratio to custom input 29.7cm x 42cm this will crop at A3 portrait.

Another way is to open a blank file, international papers, A3 then add you image as a layer and recompose ect, then if you crop, your crop ratio will be set to use photo ratio to crop and no matter how big or small your crop is it will always be A3.

Hope this helps.

As for sharpening I have a very simple , method, Enhance, adjust sharpness settings, amount 50%, Radius 3.3, Remove lens blur. check more refined. this may look a little over sharpend in the view actual pixels size but won't be when you view print size.

Hope this helps. Others may have more detailed advice using CS5
    Cheers Pete,
    Blessed Beyond Measure - Greatful Beyond Words ....t....

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Shelley,

what you need to do is open it in ACR as you normally would and open in into CS5, I would suggest you crop and prepare it in CS5 rather than Raw. Next do any contrast adjustments or any other normal tweaks. Next crop to A3 proportions. To do this use the rectangular marquee tool (rectangular selection), click on drop down menu for style and select fixed ratio and enter in height/width 297 and 410 (or swap for a portrait shot). This allows you to draw a selection in A3 proportions. Make your selection and decide if you want exactly A3 proportions or not. If you want slightly different proportions, adjust the crop to leave room to play with the comp in a second crop. Now that you have the selection as you want it, go to Image --> Crop and it will crop down to those proportions.

Next step is to go to Image --> Image Size. When that box is open enter the required values in document size, make sure mm is selected as the unit and this will be 420 width for a landscape format or 297 width, checking that the height does not exceed 297/420mm for a landscape/portrait shot, which it might if the crop is not exactly A3 proportions.

Then type in 300 dpi for the resolution, ensure that resample image is selected and ensure that Bicubic resampling is selected from the drop down menu.

As far a sharpening goes, I would suggest straight USM, set the radius to 1 and adjust amount to taste. Ensure you are viewing at 50% when adjusting sharpening. The quickest way to get to 50% is to use ctrl + or ctrl - repeatedly to step through the set magnifications to get to 50%. If desired you can make a selection and only sharpen the selection. For an inkjet print you probably want it to look just slightly over sharpened when viewed at 50% on screen.

At some point you should save the file so you have a record of the image, I would suggest saving an unsharpened cropped version on the print file.

I assume you are sending the file to someone to print and entering the print in the contest. If you are submitting an image file you should go easier on the sharpening and check it looks OK at 25/50% and not overdone at 100%.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help.