Thread: How would you fix this?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default How would you fix this?

A shot of a Variegated Fairywren I took recently. The background is both busy and bright and I am currently fiddling with how to accentuate the bird a bit more, but haven't managed to be successful yet, particularly around the bird's rump where the bright leaf makes a stark contrast to the bird. I would appreciate advice on what could be done to reclaim the shot and any examples that anyone might care to show off. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ASM2460cr1000 Variegated Fairy-wren.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	17587
    AdrianMorrison+

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I don't think anything can be done to overcome the busy background. You can attempt to blur and create your own bokeh but it often looks cutout. Best to try and get it right in camera and know what amount of space you require behind the bird to achieve the smooth bg. I have taken plenty similar to this as I am excited to see the bird and fire off the shots. I guess we need to think about the scene and composition before hitting the button. All a big learning process that is for sure.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

What camera settings have you used Adrian? Perhaps a wider aperture would have made a difference?
    I must admit that i totally agree with Duade. Better to learn how you can shoot it better than relying on post production to fix things. That is what photography is all about for me.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I have to agree, there's too much in the BG here to compete with the bird, you'd basically have to replace the BG, better to get it much closer in camera.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I agree with everyone Adrian. Your subject is very close to your background.