Thread: what is your focus distance cut off point for long teles

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default what is your focus distance cut off point for long teles

hi all just trying to find out others views on how much distance they are willing to shoot from 20 mrts 50 mtrs etc i know you have to take lens and extenders into count just want to see what others think
    i shoot as far as a can get a ok shot most for id s to say i have seen it
    Last edited by Derek Willcox; 07-04-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling and corrections

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Depends on the size of the subject. The bigger the bird the further back. Ultimately I want to crop as little as possible.
    If the bird is too small in frame for my own requirements I'll just sit there and grovel to the bird and pray to the bird gods that it comes closer

If I see a Grey Falcon next week I'll press the shutter button no matter what......

Image Reposts
    Please ask

depends on what's between you and the bird, if it's a long stretch or bare ground on a hot day maybe 10m is too far, over the ocean or a water body on a cool stable day , it might be 100m, though there is word that certain Nikon teles don't do as well at longer (50m ??+) distances.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

IIt's all dependent on subject size Derek. Like Chris M above, my aim is to crop as little as possible or not at all so I will get as close to a bird as I want depending on how I visualize the final image. If I want a super close-up I will use either or both my converters as well. A slight degradation in image quality is fine with me.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Agree with the comments above Derek. As Chris wisely pointed out, atmospheric conditions can make the distance almost irrelevant with heat haze being the biggest killer. I got very close to Painted Snipe at Cnberra last year with Tobias and Margaret but they were mostly unusable even though only 10m away. The Square-tailed Kite nest that Akos and i photographed alot at a few years ago was 30m away and we got some great images. Generally though 40m plus is too far for much more than a record shot i reckon.
    In terms of cropping I must admit that i have no problem with cropping as long as the IQ stands up. Getting full frame images with an 800mm lens takes no more skill than cropping an image taken with a 400mm lens IMO so i don't see capturing full frame as being super important other than the IQ being the best it can be.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 688 - Carpentarian Grasswren
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

thank you both chris & chris akos and david
    you have giving me some thinks in my way of shooting

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I really always want the bird to be as close as possible. But I'll also click the shutter any old time, whether as a record shot or for ID purposes, I'll often take one or two from a distance before seeing if I can get closer or not, just in case the bird takes off. But any photos that I class as keepers and actually show, the birds are usually reasonably close.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"