Thread: Cloning help!!!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Cloning help!!!

Never thought I'd be posting in this thread but here we go
    I'm having problems with cloning large areas of detail. I only have photoshop elements, is this restricting me?
    I've attached a before and after pic of my attempts with a Partridge Pigeon in Kakadu NP.
    Thoughts?

Default Re: Cloning help!!!

thats a very difficult task in that photo.
    no wonder you are having problems.
    you have done well on the lower wing..

i cant suggest anything except patience and i rarely use cloning anyway.. so i forget how. and i never could do it real good.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

You have done exceptionally well with this one. A big task but really worth it for this pic.
    The only bit that needs a little more work is the leaf litter in the lower left. Well done.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

You've done a great job on the cloning. Your technique is certainly far better than what mine is at cloning. I would say that only someone who is experienced with photo manipulation would pick it up at all.

Can you explain how you did the cloning in this image for people like myself who want to learn how to do it this way?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks fellas for the kind words but I'm still not happy with my results.
    Mark: I just used the clone tool (S) and selected areas right next to the target spot, so I could get the colours reasonably close. Then I just slowly dragged over the offending areas.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Grant you've done a pretty good job on the bird. I can see the cloning on the right where the stick ends, and on the left just away from the bird. Cloning different textures and tones is very difficult but as I said you've done well on the bird. Maybe crop it vertically to remove the clutter, and see if this changes your own opinion of the shot.
    Maybe lost the edge a little on the right shoulder but that's it.
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Please ask

The cloning tool can be a real chore to use and you've done well just with that. The healing brush in full PS does a heaps better job and tends to be less particular about the source for your cloning (though it does have its own idiosyncracies). In addition to pasting in the cloned sample it attempts to match the colour and texture of what's around where you are pasting.

You need to watch when working on the edges of the rame and where you have a very large brightness variation in the region you are pasting to, then you may need to clone first to get the tonality close and clean up with the healing brush. Higly recommended if you afford full PS, not to metion the full curves an dlayers support you get (does elements still not do curves??)
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages