Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tick and Bug Protection

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Tick and Bug Protection

As avid birders we tend to go of track in search of captures
    as a concequence we come up against tick and bugs nasty little critters that
    can cause undue discomfort. now short of buying bug proof clothing what do you do to guard yourself from these ???
    from the start of spring its something I know I do well to consider, once bitten you dont need it again.
    you dont always find them till days after. Think i need a large can of bushmans
    regards Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Hi Rick,
    I gave up using Bushmans after seeing it strip paint off a sign where i had oversprayed my leg the day before! It contains DEET which is now starting to be banned in some countries which is enough to make you wonder too. I have lately tried Skoot which seems to work really well although it isn't super easy to find. Its Aus made and owned though which i like. I'll let you know how it goes in Cape York later in the year
    A bit of Vicks Vapor Rub or Dencorub around the ankles and shoes works really well for leaches and would probably work for ticks although i always seem to get ticks up under my arms etc in places where you don't really want to rub that sort of thing
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I have only ever had one tick, but sure I will get some more at some point. Leeches will freak me out I think. I don't like to wear a lot of product as it irritates me so much - try to cover up as much as possible - hard when its hot though.

David how lucky going to Cape York, I hope to visit their next year. I look forward to what you come back with.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

After a weekend trip every month for a year or two to Innes National Park which is supposed to be swarming with Kangaroo Ticks, I'm starting to think they're made up I think I've just been lucky though. Ticks or leeches aren't really a problem in SA, the March flies are a pain though. I have also heard some bad things about DEET. I think the normal Aeroguard doesn't contain DEET, but the higher strength ones do. I find that Aeroguard works for March flies, but only if you're staying in one place, because the flies in that spot learn you have it on you, but when you're moving around there's different flies which haven't learned it yet so you still get bugs landing on you. Or at least that was my take on it anyway.

Otherwise, there's always the option of wearing long socks over the top of your pants
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Speaking of which, I just pulled a tick out from a birding trip this morning
    I wear long pants, check for leeches every now and then, and generally don't get bitten
    Life List: 1438 (Black-backed Bittern)
    Aus List: 565 (Ditto)
    Our shared Blog - http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Max and I)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I always wear long pants as well, even if summer. It's more for scratches and any extra snake protection than for bug bites though. Though it reminds me, another danger of birding is ants, I have found myself (on more than one occasion) being bitten by ants because I was too busy trying to photograph a bird to notice that I was standing in the middle of a bull-ant mound
    Reposts welcome =)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I was driving home from an Owl hunt with my dad when I felt something wet under my chin. I felt around and upon putting my hand back on the steering wheel I noticed a nice splash of blood through my fingers Pulled over and searched around but couldn't find anything. When we got home I noticed that the same leech had found a new host.... my dad. The leech was in the exact same spot under his chin.
    I must have flicked it off me and onto my old man in the car
    Very funny, Dad didn't think so

Repellant would have been handy.....

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Don't just think bugs and bities are a tropical thing...Sherbrooke and Kallista here in Vic. have both given me leeches; mostly they sneak onto ankles/lower legs, even with long pants and socks - you get a 'wet' feeling as Owen said and by then they've usually started feeding... I don't bother with repellents, though, as Dave mentioned they can have some pretty hardcore chemicals in them!!
    Oh, and saw my first 'urban' snake - at Jells Park last week, a red bellied black: we both gave each other plenty of space....

Cheers, John

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

To be honest, I don't use repellent for either ticks or leeches. Flies and mozzies annoy me far more than either leeches or ticks, neither of which you are actually really aware of having if they are having a good feed.
    When I'm in an area with leeches, I tend to just check regularly on the outsides of my boots. But if one or two manage to slip through, then so be it. And my socks will need a good washing
    And ticks - I don't even bother protecting myself against them, but I do give myself thorough check-overs after the day is done, usually in the shower. Although I find this sort of article more than a little worrying: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/or...318-1vdse.html
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

More than a little worry is the every now and then reports of Lyme disease may be in Australia, Ross river from mossies, been tested for that
    only takes one mossie to bite an infected person then you.
    more often then not, health authorities say to cover up and use repelent in mossie areas.
    just as well the things that bite aint any bigger or we are in trouble.
    think im gonna spray me boots next time. found 4 little ticks smaller than a flea
    but crikey they stir me up. been popping Zertec for a few days to stop the itch.
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I believe that Lyme disease is now confirmed here in Oz, was speaking to someone the other day, who I thought should know and they told me it was confirmed, there's also a couple of other diseases you can get from ticks. There's still some reports disputing this on the net but they appear to be quite old. From mossies there's Ross River and also Dengue if you are up north. I tend to use DEET based sprays as mossies seem to like me, ticks you can probably slow down but not stop. I suspect people who claim not to get mossie bites are in fact not reacting to the bite. It's a matter of weighing up the risks of DEET affecting you vs getting one of the diseases, which probaly won't kill you but can be very unpleasant. Dengue in particular is nasty and potentially fatal, I'd certainly take precautions up north.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...iTaBVuod08p4OQ

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...d5wmb0UQjKmm4g
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I pretty much follow the same procedure as Ashwin when it comes to the little buggers. I find it much less of a hassle to remove leeches once you've stopped walking, for example.
    In one instance, while on Twitchathon last year, I decided to walk through a section of rainforest with no shoes on... About 20 leeches later, with several in between my toes, I still wasn't too bothered - just a healthy spray of Aerogard and they pretty much fell off.

I was bitten quite a bit by mozzies when in Iron Range NP last July which may have been foolish on my behalf, although I thought the related illnesses were more prevalent in the Summer months?
    Max Breckenridge
    Gladesville NSW http://fortheloveof-birds.blogspot.com.au/ (Josh and I)
    Life List: ~730
    Aus List: 529 - Black-eared Cuckoo (Teridgerie)
    2013 List: ​284 - Spotted Quail-Thrush (Coonabarabran)

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I don't mind Leeches but I hate Ticks, unfortunately they LOVE me. In fact the missus reckons I'm a ''Tick Magnet''. I once got a Tick in my chest & it swelled up in a raised lump 3cm high & the diameter of a Soccer ball, it was removed by a self proclaimed ''expert''. The swelling took 6 months to slowly subside until it was the size of a pimple. It came to a head & I squeezed it, out came the head of the Tick! I've tried most repellent methods & none of them seem to stop Ticks boring into me.
    Cheers Keith

.Our land abounds in Nature's gifts. Of beauty rich and rare.

Life list total (seen by both of us) = 440 Latest addition Tawny Grassbird Ritamada Point QLD.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Im a bit of an aeorguard sprayer, I cover up and find gumboots to be a really good thing in so many ways so long as youre not walking for miles. About 75% of the ticks i've had on me this summer I've felt them walking on me and been able to pick them up. They are amazing how 'stuck' they are once attached. I wear a soft hat usually and I always give this and the neckline and button line of my shirt a spray if in a tickky area. Without becoming a paranoid idiot mosquito and tick prevention should be taken seriously not just for the acute diseases they carry, but because of the post viral aftermaths that can be potentially debilitating for life.
    Kind regards Trevor.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

All this talk of ticks and mosquitos makes me never want to live anywhere that they're prevelant
    Reposts welcome =)