Thread: Shoulder stocks

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Shoulder stocks

This is the shoulder stock I've just made, with my old 300mm f/4 on board.

Anyone had experience with these, any tips to share.

cheers
    Arron
    www.patonga.me : botany, wildlife, fishing, check it out

Default Re: Shoulder stocks

Aaron, i've got one of the Bushhawk ones that i really have never used, i found it very uncomfortable.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

What exactly did you find uncomfortable about it ?

Everything!!
    It just felt heavy, was all at the wrong angles, i could never get my eye to line up with the veiwfinder no matter how i adjusted it, it was generally just uncomfortable to use and after using it for a while my back hurt, i have found it much easier to use my 500 hand held.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I looked at the bushhawk ones but never ordered one. Those who use them all the time seem to love them.

You've done some good work on this. Where will you locate your shutter remote?

I think the best thing someone could make would be a folding bipod for cameras like on machine guns and large calibre rifles. Something that you could just fold down when you stop crawling in the grass or the muck. Angle would just be adjusted by either moving forward or backward from the camera just like firing a rifle.

Hmmm, maybe a task for me down the track....
    Life list - 278 species (Painted Snipe) updated 06/11/11
    2011 list - 160+ species (stopped counting months ago)
    Web site http://www.darrylluck.com

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've looked into this sort of thing Lucky. Try your local hunting/gun shop. I have seen exactly what you are talking about except it would need a slight modification to be suitable and only cost $30 or so. I do a lot of ground work so I thought it would be handy but have not got round to buying one yet.
    I decided to buy their camouflage sniper suit instead which will come in handy when I start shooting these bee eaters I've been watching.
    It has leafy bits cut into it too so it rustles in the wind etc. and breaks up my silhouette perfectly.

Use a hide? I AM THE HIDE!!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by lucky
    I looked at the bushhawk ones but never ordered one. Those who use them all the time seem to love them.

You've done some good work on this. Where will you locate your shutter remote?
    Currently, I attach the cordless remote to the little aluminium trigger bracket using sticky tape. It fires upwards and to the left, but a small reflector made of twisted aluminium redirects some rays back towards the sensor on the camera. Surprisingly, you only need a reflector about 1cm square to reflect enough infrared to trigger the camera. Its a pretty crude approach but works.

I think the best thing someone could make would be a folding bipod for cameras like on machine guns and large calibre rifles. Something that you could just fold down when you stop crawling in the grass or the muck. Angle would just be adjusted by either moving forward or backward from the camera just like firing a rifle.
    Interesting idea, though I've never got down to ground level to take a photo and probably never will. I've considered a lot of stabilising fittings like what you're talking about here, but my main objection to them is that they would need to be fitted to the front part of the lens, which would risk distorting/damaging the lens or interfere with focusing. Or did you have some other idea on how to fit it?

Hmmm, maybe a task for me down the track....

cheers

Arron

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I find the best place for hunting gear which may crossover to photography is Cabelas (www.cabelas.com). They are in the states, but I've bought stuff from them and they ship quick and cheap. Their website is worth looking at just for the ideas.

Check out their range of bipods at
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... =cat602007

I liked their beanbag
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Their clothing and range of hides is worth looking at too.

Arron

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

OK, having used this thing for a couple of days now, the jury is in. Its a marvellous bit of gear. Ergonomically nearly perfect (for me), effortless to carry, quick and intuitive for finding the subject, and good for frightening unwary bushwalkers. The resultant image quality is midway between hand-held and using a sturdy tripod, which is what you would expect.

I think a shoulder strap and a tripod fitting on the bottom will be an improvement.

Arron