Thread: A little photoshop help PLEASE :D

Anywhere my motorhome wheels take me in Australia.....
    Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default A little photoshop help PLEASE :D

Hi everyone.
    Just a quick question..not sure if its already been discussed on here before...
    Could anyone that has elements 9 photoshop educate me as to how you sharpen ONLY the bird and
    not the background..
    Thanks so much
    Kirri

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Kirri, my method ( and there may be several others offered) is after finishing your other edits for colour light contrast etc. Duplicate the image ( press Cntrl+J ) you should now have one layer visible at the bottom of the layers pallette called background and one layer above it called layer1 ?? . Next denoise the background layer, then go to the the top layer and sharpen it as required. Now apply a black , 'hide all' mask to the top layer ( your image will look blurry on the screen now because what youre seeing is the denoised background layer. With the masked top layer selected 'paint' on the mask with a white brush,( press 'B' to get a brush,) to reveal sharpness where you want, ie on the bird. I usually paint the bird at 100% opacity, its perch at say 80-90% opacity lesser unwanted detail at 10 -30% so by selectively revealing detail it draws attention chiefly to your subject. This has been a quick answer, not sure of your PSE skills it takes a while to get your head around some of it, but well worth persisting. I'm a bit time poor tonight, but if you have problems and no one else offers any better advice or maybe a url to a web tutorial send me a PM and see if I can explain more another time
    Kind regards Trevor.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I just use the sharpen tool Kirri...does elements have that option? I set it to a light setting (25%) and just "paint" over the areas I want sharpened.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I use one (actually usually a couple in combination) of the selection tools to select the bird, then sharpen it using a USM pass or two.
    So for example I'll use the magnetic lasoo to select the bird. This ensure only the selection is being sharpened. The best advantage of this is that I can invert the selection and then denoise the bg.
    Also, usually, I will not only select the bird but anything surrounding on the same depth plane, eg the branch the bird is sitting on.

I have PSE5, but pretty certain 9 has the magnetic lasoo and other selection tools.
    Familiarity breeds contempt; don't neglect the common birds
    --\\
    ---\\_(j*)>.........Aus Life List: 534 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ----\___)................NSW List: 428 (Northern Royal Albatross - 6/9/14)
    ------\ \..............o..2014 List: 348 (Southern Giant Petrel - 6/9/14)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I use either magnetic lasoo to select bird or just mask everything but the bird but that way can make edges look fuzzy. I find if I try to use sharpen tool it is quite patchy and some areas become over sharp.
    Last edited by Owen Lishmund; 14-03-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Cheers, Owen.

Flickr

Aus life list: 472 (Southern Royal Albatross, Port Fairy Pelagic, Victoria)

Anywhere my motorhome wheels take me in Australia.....
    Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thankyou SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO very much, can't wait to try it

Image Reposts
    Please ask

However you make your selections I'd suggest saving it as an alpha channel, this allows you access it again and again and the selection resizes with the image. I find it generally easier to select the BG and then invert the selection, if you have a smooth BG with a different tone to the bird, the magic wand does a good job of selecting the bG, I then tidy up with the lasoo tool, I generally do this on the full size image and having saved the selection I can then access it for use after resizing.

Sharpening should be done as the last step in any processing, so you generally don't sharpen your full size image and only do so after resizing to the final size, whether that is for a print or to post on the web. Carefully applied USM is generally all that is needed.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

8. The following user says thank you to ChrisRoss for their reply:

Kirri Hardy (15-03-2012)