Thread: Building a complete system from ground up ( photography)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Building a complete system from ground up ( photography)

As we hear alot of companys with software are now leaving the XP platform for vista or windows 7 base to run the newest programs eg lightroom 4 ect
    (1) what system would you build and why??
    (2) what editing software would you choose.??
    (3) what monitor would you concider to give you the best colour rendition ??
    (4) what printing system would you use to give great colour prints for yourself and others ??
    (5) what printing size would you choose as regards paper and type of paper for your prints??

These are just some questions that help one to make a reasonable system work well
    any thoughts really appreciated by me and also anyone else who has wondered about the issues
    regards Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold
    Other captures located here :
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/justrick
    https://www.facebook.com/rick.playle.5

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Rick,

these days for a Windows system (Macs you normally buy rather than build) you would look at Win 7 64 bit, probably a SSD for op system and programs as well as PS scratch disk. Probably 8-12GB RAM. likely a core i7 processor, about 1 or 2 levels from top of range. This normally represents the value point in processors. You'd want a motherboard with plenty of Sata ports for your disc storage. Plenty of USB ports a firewire just in case, a good number of USB 3 ports, 2 ethernet ports (I use one for my printer). You probably want one of the name motherboards Gigabyte, ASUS, selecting one that has enough ports and PCI slots for your needs and that will take 16GB+ RAM if reqd. Probably only need a single graphics card slot. Graphics card, get one from the list that Adobe have for compatability with the latest PS which uses the graphics processor for certain operations on the monitor like rotation etc.

I'd have 2 1-2 TB discs internally probably in RAID 1 mirroring for redundancy. External drives for backup probably E-Sata or USB 3 interface for speed. External drives would be internal HDDs in a fan cooled enclosure for reliability.

Editing would be PS, I know how to use it and wouldn't want to use anything less.

Monitor would be 24-30" wide gmut from NEC or Eizo, pricey but they are designed for imaging applications, if you spend $3-10K plus on DSLR and lense why try to look at the result on a $300 monitor. these calibarte well and display the entire Adobe RGB palette, lesses monitors struggle to display sRGB, once again your camera captures pretty much the full Adobe RGB palette.

Canon or Epson have the best options for printing, the issue is the consumer grade printers have tiny expensive cartridges. I'd get an A3 pigment ink printer, anything in A4 size is a dumbed down consumer printer these days. Canon have the Pro1 which has good size cartridges and Epson have the 3800 or 3880 I think is the replacement. both have good sized cartridges which while expensive do keep your costs under control compared to the tiny cartridges in other offerings. I use the fine art papers like Ilford gold fibre silk, they have an archival base and utilise stable substrates such as Baryta for laying down the ink rather than a plastic layer, prioduces great looking prints. Really choice of paper comes down to your taste in prints, some like matte, others full gloss, I like a satin finish myself.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

3. The following user says thank you to ChrisRoss for their reply:

Rick Playle (07-03-2012)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Much appreciated Chris , you have put some great info up
    cheers Rick
    Through the lens behold the glory of creation
    So much to see, So little time to behold