Thread: Converting to .jpg

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Converting to .jpg

Something weird has happened to my conversions to .jpg. I convert my .tiff files to .jpg in Photoshop using Save for Web and Devices.
    Recently, from Bridge, I converted a whole batch of .tiffs to make a screen saver, and used Tools - Photoshop - Image Processing.
    Ever since, when I try to convert to .jpg for F&P, I find the file size is much larger than it used to be, and I am stuck with either a very low resolution image of reasonable size, or have to go for a very small size in order to get the higher quality. I am battling to get decent size and resolution within 300 kb.
    Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be?
    Last edited by Margaret Leggoe; 28-02-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Normally in there is step for a resizing to 800-1000 pixels, which is the third last step before sharpening and saving for web. Assume you know there is a quality slider in the PS save for web dialog box. The tag is "Quality" and you can choose between 0 and 100 in PS CS3. That is the only thing that effects the saved size of a jpeg once it has been reduced to the desired pixel level to any appreciable degree.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Chris,
    I have just done a little test on a flattened .tif image. Downsizing in Image - Image Size and then going to Save for Web and Devices, and going to Save for Web and Devices first, and downsizing to the same size there. In both cases the quality was set the same, and in both cases the file size (not image size) was exactly the same. Just for interest's sake (don't have to answer), what quality setting do you normally use? I usually managed to have mine around 90, but now am lucky to get a reasonable sized image without dropping the quality below 70.
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Sounds very unusual Margaret, if you have not reduced the pixel dimensions the file should be much bigger, normally save for web will give a warning about trying to save to large a pixel dimension image, though I see there is a feature there to downsize the image as well. Perhaps post a screen shot of your settings in save for web? I don't use a particular quality, I adjust it individually to get a reasonable file size. it is normally in the 80-100 range. Otherwise it might require resetting the preferences file by holding down ctrl-alt-shift immediately after clicking on the icon to launch PS.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks, Chris. I have done a little more investigating and testing. According to Lynda.com, if you increase saturation and contrast, you increase the file size when converted to .jpg. And the converse applies too. So, I was having problems with the extensively photoshopped files I have been playing with, of late, that would have had contrast and saturation increased. When I did a test with one of my natural shots with minimal manipulation, the problem went away.
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Correct - the more editing you do in Photoshop, generally the larger the output file will be.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

That's something my Mother never told me!
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.