Thread: Crop vs Full Frame Help Please

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Crop vs Full Frame Help Please

Gday all, I am sure this debate has been discussed Ad nauseam which I apologise for. The reason for me raising it is the upcoming FF Canon 5D-MK3/X. From rumor sites it is alleged to be a blend of the IQ and ISO performance of the 5D-MK2 and the FPS and AF of the 7D (rumoured specs 22mp, 61pt af, 6.9fps) They are saying Canon may not release a 7D MK2 instead using the 70D as the flagship crop sensor. I am unaware of any upcoming APS-H camera.

Whilst my 40D is a great camera I would like to upgrade this year, I really need better high ISO performance and the better AF. The majority of people here seem to have the 7D or 1D-Mk4 both being crop sensors. I would like to hear from those with FF and crop and tell me why you prefer one over the other. The other limitation I have is my 400 5.6, will this be too short on a FF or can you really crop that much and retain the detail? I plan on investing for the future and will be saving for good gear so I am probably thinking of getting the 5D Mk3 or the 1ds Mk4.

Thank you in advance, Duade.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I have a 5D MkII and a 1D MkIV. With out a doubt when it comes to birds I'll choose the 1D MkIV!

The extra AF points is a big plus when you are filling the frame with feathers.
    AF is much better than the 5D MkII
    10 FPS when the action heats up.
    Love the feel of a 1D body. Shooting verticals is made easy.

Personally I wouldn't get excited about the 5D3 until it is released.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

We spoke about full frame vs crop cameras in this recent thread Duade
    http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/...has-full-frame

The fact is that the crop factor has little relevance but as Chris noted the frames per second and focus point/focus speed are definitely issues.

For reference, here is a "mega" crop from a recent image of mine. As you can see, the cropped image represents approx. 10% of the full frame image and still looks pretty bloody good...and thats with the 5D mkI...I imagine the mk II would perform even better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20111207_1903.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	16175

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20111207_1903a.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	16176

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thank you I should have searched a little harder. Duade.
    View my latest review of the Canon EF400 5.6L View my trip report to Auckland Islands, NZ
    Follow me on Facebook. Australian List: 350 (Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross 26/07/14 Wollongong Pelagic, NSW)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

A couple of point Duade, full frame is all well and good but to get the frames/sec up it gets stratospheric in cost. If you want both high ISO and FPS then the 1DMkIV is about it. You could take a chance on a second hand 1DMkIII but the the AF is still suspect on those cameras. The advantage of full frame is the additional good quality pixels when you can get close enough to fill the frame, once you start heavily cropping the noise performance drops off to the equivalent size/quality pixel in a crop camera. I shoot with a 1DMkIIn and find that performance is really good at ISO400 and I don't really have to concern myself with exposing to the right and quite acceptable at ISO800 particularly if I use +1/3 exp comp.

The APS-H seems to be a nice compromise and with the 1D series you get excellent AF (with a ? over the 1DMkIII), 8 FPS plus, weather sealing and a much more rugged body overall.

Regarding future cameras, I very much doubt the 5DMkIII will have such high frame rates, and 7D style AF, they won't bring it too close to the 1DX. It will probably be close in specs to the D800 which seems to be its direct competitor. More than likely it will match it in MP (if not in image quality).

I would suggest if you can afford go for a 1DMkIV, it will allow AF with the 400 plus a 1.4x even if it's a little slow which will help combat some of the reach loss. I would also suggest not being an early adopter unless you enjoy helping Canon out with it's beta testing. The 1DMkIII certainly proved that. If the price is a little steep check out what used versions go for on Ebay.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Yep, the 5D MKII also has insane "mega cropability"!!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Duade. I have the MKIV and really love it, its a great camera. For shooting birds, the 1.3X crop works beautifully, a nice mix between the crop of a 1.6 and the full frame. Bear in mind, however, that if you also want to use the MKIV for general photography (thinking landscapes, wider portraits etc) you might feel limited by the crop and the effect that that crop has on (especially) wider angle lenses. I know I certainly feel that way. However, if that is not a concern, go for it. I dont think Canon will be releasing a 1DsMKIV.
    Tobias Hayashi
    Canberra, Australia
    www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I shouldn't really talk as I have a pentax kit. But I hear all the obsessed chatter from pntax ownwers wanting FF. I think FF for big Telephotos is a bit of a drawback. I think the 7D has room for improvement. Maybe the eventual 7D replacement is the camera of your dreams.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I think FF for big Telephotos is a bit of a drawback.
    In what respect Bob? Just curious.