Thread: Thinking of using the Nikon D800 for Bird Photography?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Thinking of using the Nikon D800 for Bird Photography?

I've been waiting patiently for the release of the D400 to replace my D300 when Nikon goes and releases a very tempting D800 package. It is a full frame camera (36 MP) that when used in DX mode gives you 15.1 MP. This is comparable to the D7000 which I'm currently using. Also if you can believe the preliminary reviews/previews. high ISO performance will be as good if not better than the D700/D3 cameras. On top of this you get Nikon's top of the line Auto focusing and video systems. The flexibility this systems offers will appeal to many bird photographers, especially those that have the field craft to get close in certain situations. The one down side I can see is the fact that you need the addition of the grip to get the camera up to 6 FPS.
    I'll still wait to see what the next round of reviews have to say and what specs the D400 comes out with before I go rushing out for a replacement.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

That seems wise Gerard, with a number of issues in some cameras over recent years, it seems it pays not to be an early adopter (aka Beta tester).
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I've been waiting for a good FX non-pro camera for many years and this D800 looks very very good for my needs.
    For birding, the D800 can transform my prime to a zoom and my zoom to another zoom with wider range. So if my subject is close (or big) enough, I'll use the FX format. Otherwise, there are two crop modes (x1.2 and x1.5) for tighter framing. I will be able to use TCs more often on this camera as its new AF system will allow to focus at f/8 with 9 AF points.
    In my opinion, this is a very versatile camera for nature and wildlife photography.
    I've already ordered one...

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

My only suggestion is that don't sweat over "having" to add a grip. Not sure how many people actually shoot verticals (I know I do) so a grip makes it easier to shoot verticals. Though I have a grip for my Canon 30D, it makes the whole outfit look flimsy. Probably the case with most grips on mid-range cameras. Better to buy a body like a D3, D4 or 1D series that's built that way from the ground up. I was very close to jumping ship about mid-2011 and go for a (used) D3 and Nikon 600/4 VR. Having a 500/4 Gerard you may want to consider a D3. Those should be cheap as chips now and make awesome images.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Akos is right about monobloc body : the handling is way better than a body with grip.
    If you don't crop much, a D3s is the way to go for overall IQ in any lighting condition. Last week, I missed one with only 6000 actuations at AUD 3,750 !!
    These pro bodies are built like a tank and are really nice to use.

A D2Hs @-40 degre celcius

Or a D4 @-35 degre celcius

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

DRW Photography
    Follow me on Facebook and Instagram