Thread: Buying from overseas - pros and cons?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Buying from overseas - pros and cons?

With the Australian dollar going so well against the Greenback, I've been thinking seriously about upgrading some equipment.

So here's where I need your help; what are the pros and cons of buying camera gear (specifically Canon) from overseas?

Thanks in advance.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Re: Buying from overseas - pros and cons?

G'day Nigel,
    I've bought nearly all my digital gear from the US, either B&H Photovideo or Arthur Morris. No problems with freight, payment and got here within a week. Felt slightly guilty about sending $ overseas but the savings at that time were in the order of 40%! I know there are some online Aust outlets that are becoming competitive but with the dollar at .92 you'll probably do better overseas even if you have to pay GST (I have once and haven't twice). Hope this helps.

cheers
    Rob

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Rob.

How does the overseas stuff go with warranties?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Generally the stuff you buy from B&H you have to send back to B&H to get warranty. I have purchased most of my stuff over the years from B&H and found them very good. Delivery is normally about a week to Brisbane probably atleast a day quicker for Sydney. If your order goes over $1000 AUD including freight you will most likely get stung for GST by customs.

brett

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Hi Nigel,

Like Rob I've bought nearly all my gear from overseas. I'm hoping the Aussie $ will reach parity with the US$ and will purchase a 500 lens.

Warranites might be an issue as I've seen on some items that it is only valid in the U.S.

You only have to pay GST if the purchase price is in excess of $1000. Sometimes it is cheaper to purchase (say 2) items separately and pay freight for both to keep the cost below $1000 on the parcel.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

reposts welcome

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Is there any way of finding out if for individual products the warranties are location specific?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

With Canon gear DSLR bodies are only covered by Canon Australia if you buy them here. Big lenses have an international warranty and are covered by Canon Australia at the moment. See:

http://canon.com.au/eos/images/download ... orting.pdf

My impression is that there is a reasonable chance you'll need warranty service on something as complex as a DSLR.

Have a look around some of the prices are getting pretty competitive locally these days:

Digi direct want $5299 for 1D MkIII and $3793 for a 5D MkII (both Canon Australia supply)

I'd estimate the cost to ship from B&H to be $A4754 and $A3492 respectively.....approx10% lower

this includes 0.9 exch rate (what does your card charge you??) 10% GST on camera and shipping and allow $100 clearance charges. Only you can work out if that is worth risking having to send it back to the US and all the hassle that involves.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

For cheaper bodies i would be more inclined to buy locally from reputable grey market dealer such as DDP, or one that escapes me that Craig has dealt with in the past. If in doubt about a grey market warranty you can also purchase from most of the grey market dealers a 3 year Mack warranty for about $189.00, if worst comes to worst you can claim on this and it will be fixed by Canon Australia.

For lenses, as Chris has stated they come with international warranty, so no worries here.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I just bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ38 from Citiwide Online and its currently en route with DHL. Saved a couple of hundred dollars and they have door to door warranty for one year anyway.

A different league of gear obviously but I thought they were worth a mention. They have been operating for years.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I'd look very closely for prices on cheaper bodies, Digi direct show a 7D for $2249, while cameras direct want $2297. In that case, the Grey import is more expensive!!
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages