Thread: 7D Question

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default 7D Question

Can some one please explain to me how I get long exposures ( lightning etc) while using the "M" or "AV" modes. I get it to work using "B", but can't find anything in the manual about the former. I must admit my manual is written in Swahili...
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

How long is long Ray? in Tv you can dial down to 30 seconds and that's as long as you can go, but that will set your aperture wide. M is about the only to control both shutter speed and aperture. Other than that it's bulb and a stopwatch. There is an accessory timer/remote available:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_TC_80N3.html

It will allow you to set any exposure you like.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

If you're talking about getting exposures longer than 30 seconds then you're going to need a remote shutter with a "lock" setting I think.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks guys. What I mean is , I can't get any time on the M or AV, I hold down the shutter and it just clicks straight away for one shot.. I hope I am explaining it properly.

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The shutter will always click straight away, but the mirror will stay open for a while before coming back down again to take the photograph. You should be able to get long exposures providing it is dark enough and you use a low ISO, combined with a very small aperture (higher f number).

If you are shooting lightning, then Bulb is the best way to go - you just hold the shutter open with a remote and close it once you see the lightning strike.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

6. The following user says thank you to Dale Mengel for their reply:

Ray Walker (03-02-2012)

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Are you wanting to use the meter Ray? Be helpful if you tell us what you are trying to shoot. If it is lightning, what Dale says is right put in bulb or Manual. Bulb allows you close the shutter once you get a strike, with manual you'd set it for 30 secs and the chosen aperture. Tv and Av won't work generally as it's normally to dark for the meter to read anything, though Av will default to 30s (longest exposure you can dial up if it is indeed dark). Basically it's trial and error for any foreground subject exposure and go from there.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

8. The following user says thank you to ChrisRoss for their reply:

Ray Walker (03-02-2012)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Walker View Post
    I can't get any time on the M or AV, I hold down the shutter and it just clicks straight away for one shot.. I hope I am explaining it properly.
    Rev,
    The longest exposure you can get on M or Tv is 30 seconds. You will hear two clicks, one when the shutter opens, and another when it closes. I guess Tv is the same. Av's exposure time is set automatically and is governed by the apperture. If you get yourself a little cable release button and set your exposure mode to B, you can lock the release button down when you press it, and it will not release - the shutter will remain open until - you unlock it. A timer - in seconds - is at the upper right corner of your LED panel on the top of your camera. Mine has just reached 250 seconds - sorry, 261 - sorry, 276, while I have been typing this. I guess this is how people manage to take those photos of stars by setting up the camera to run all night.
    'Ave a go, mate!
    Margaret.
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Margaret. I have a remote control, does that work the same a cable release or not. I will do some experimenting over the next few nights.

Cheers Rev.