Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Beamer in Australia

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Better Beamer in Australia

Anyone know if better beamers are sold in Australia? I have asked in a few stores in Sydney (where I live) and tried to search online but could not find stores (even online) which sold them locally. My only other option is to order from the U.S.

Curiously, is the better beamer known by a different name here? Some stores I went into did not know what it I was on about.

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers
    Neve

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Re: Better Beamer in Australia

Hi Neve

I purchased my Better Beamer from Photo Continental in Brisbane. However the instructions that came with the item say "Directions for your Flash X-tender". If you ask for a Flash X-tender you may have more luck. Hope this helps you.

Cheers, Tom

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the info Tom. Will see how I go

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Like Tom, mine i think is actually called something different although i bought mine from the US (i was already buying a couple of other things so it was easier to add this in).
    I would think if you went to a pro store you might have more luck than your average camera house etc. Try L&P photographics in Artarmon for example.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Tony Hansford Guest

My Better Beamer arrived today from Arthur Morris. Wow, what an anticlimax. I hope it's more fun to use than it looks

Image Reposts
    Please ask

It's all about how you use it Tony
    You'll be amazed at the extra reach you get from it
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS - Lord Howe Island - 29th November - 6th December 2017.

Aus Life List IOC= 680 - Lord Howe Woodhen
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Tony Hansford Guest

It's going to be interesting just remembering to use it.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

No mate, they're ugly and don't work!
    Put it this way. I was able to get an ID shot of a Rufous Night Heron at ISO800 from 50-60m away at dusk, actually it was nearly dark. So I have to say they do work, very, very well mate.

When you are closer, the reduction in recycle time is an instantly noticeable feature of using the magnifier. It's a brilliant addition to a flash for wildlife photography!

9. The following user says thank you to Ákos Lumnitzer for their reply:

Tony Hansford Guest

I tried mine yesterday for the first time. I didn't think it reduced the recycling time at all. I still only got one flash photo out of every three. I might buy one of those 8 cell external battery boxes.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Tony
    There's no way you can have flash on every frame; I guess you were shooting your 1DMkIII at 10 fps? If that's the case then 1 out every three frames will give you three flashed shots in one second. Pretty good IMHO! If you want to shoot at the full frame rate, don't use a flash. That's how simple it is. The flash will NEVER keep up!

Tony Hansford Guest

Akos, there was a guy at the workshop I did at O'Reillys at the start of this year who had a 1D MkIV, 580EXII plus one of those 8 cell boxes and his flash was keeping up with every frame fired. I kid you not, every frame. It was like a laser gun it was so quick.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Tony What flash are you using and what batteries? What ISO, subject distance, SS and f-stop? It all comes into it.

The 580EXII recycles very fast, it's best with high capacity Ni-MH rechargables. It's even better with an external battery pack. If you read the instructions Canon recommends only so many frams in a burst before heat buildup becomes a problem.

At higher ISO lower f stop and closer to the subject, the flash pulse gets shorter and shorter. Dialling down the compensation will also reduce the light in each pulse. You need to be below your maximum sync speed because running the high speed sync option chews up more power by pulsing the flash constantly while the shutter is open. There is aso an optimal focal length on the flash head which maximises light to the subject, usually it's 50mm but probably isn't for every flash. So there's a lot in how often a flash can fire in a burst. With a beamer I find I get 2 frames, miss 2 on average with a 580EXII on 50mm zoom, NiMH batteries, 1/250 f8-10 ISO400 on subjects about 3m away.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Tony Hansford Guest

That's what I did wrong. The Beamer instructions say to set the flash at 50mm I think and I didn't do that and the SS was 1/320. I use NiNH rechargeables for everything even the tv remotes. I know about the head heating up and I actually mentioned that to the guy at that time. I will reset everything and try again later.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Yes Photo Continental in Brisbane have them from time to time but their price is double what you can buy them from OS

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

A lot of the recycle time also has to do with the distance you are trying to throw the flash, remember inverse square law, if your trying to flash something 20 feet away it uses more power and therefore takes longer to recycle, if you a flashing something 6 ft away it will use less power and therefor recycle faster.