Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Website - How much?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Making a Website - How much?

Hi all,

As I am getting close to finishing university, I thought it might be about time I thought about getting website like so many members on here now have. I am probably not interested in doing it myself as things like that just scare me and I am not sure I would have the patience to go through the trials and tribulations of getting things to work I had a look a while back about what is involved in DOI and I got lost, so thought that getting someone else to do it would be a much better option for a complete idiot like me!

I had a look online at few local companies that do web design and for a one page "business card" site, the price is around $700. Obviously, one page wouldnt be enough, so I looked at the next level (5-7 pages I think) and it was something like $1900, $350 extra for web 2.0 (which I am guessing is something like Joomla?). Is this a reasonable price expected to have a site built from scratch, or does that price appear to be a bit hefty? Obviously I would like them do to the lot including registering a domain name, hosting, etc for me, but after it's all built I would like to be able to simply take control, update content, upload photos and renew hosting/domain name as required.

If it's going to cost thousands, I think I would be better off putting it towards some camera gear!

To give an idea of what I am after, something like Gerard's or Rod Warnocks sites look pretty good which I understand use Joomla. The easier the better!

Cheers for the advice!

Regards,
    Dale
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

My domain costs met US$9.99 a year and my site costs nothing since I designed and put it together in Dreamweaver, though I am sure it could look thousands of times better if done by a pro. Gallery2 was a free addition as well as the wordpress blog. In my opinion money is better spent on camera gear.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Smugmug isn't a bad option at all if you want something that's simple to set up and maintain yourself. Very easy to upload and organise your images and the presentation looks great. It's reasonably customisable too and the support is very good. It's priced quite well and you can purchase a domain name and link it to your smugmug site if you wish too. They have a free trial to see if you like it.. http://www.smugmug.com/

I went the Joomla route for my own site a few months ago myself as I wanted something a bit more customisable.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    My domain costs met US$9.99 a year
    And hosting costs?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks Akos and Rich.

Actually, smugmug does not look too bad - seems nice and easy, ability to customise and add a host name and everything else takes care of itself - just have to upload photos. Might be a better way to go I think - $60 (US I am assuming) a year is quite reasonable for the Power account and then throw in a domain name.

Where do people obtain their domain names from? Obviously there will be a lot of companies offering this service.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hall View Post
    And hosting costs?
    $0.00 my friend hosts on his server. I obviously take that for granted. Should've added that. 500 Gb storage Free.

7. The following user says thank you to Ákos Lumnitzer for their reply:

Richard Hall (30-01-2012)

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I can highly recommend "Clikpic" which I use. Fairly cheap (couple of hundred a year) and I've found it very easy to use. You can try a free trial on their site and if you need any help I can try and sort you out as I know the system pretty well now.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I agree with Rich - Something like Smugmug might be a good way for you to start getting your head around it and work out what you want from a site. You don't want to spend a couple of grand on a site that you're not happy with. I'm totally with you about getting someone else to do it. I don't have the time or patience either All very well for people to say just do it yourself but not everyone has the skill or time. I'd rather be out birding than on the computer is the other way to look at it.
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Dave, in all honesty I had NO CLUE about Dreamweaver and could work out enough fairly fast by applying my general computer aptitude to the designing and building - hence why I said someone who does this for a living could do a job 1000-times better. Most people who can use things like Photoshop or Lightroom should have no problems figuring out some basic things and whack a site together in no time (great for when it's pouring rain anyway). Just a suggestion, that's all. And add a few glasses of port and your creative side will be in flames too.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Like Rich I went the Joomla route. I wanted to take control and create website that suited my needs. I actually found the experience very satisfying. Joomla like similar software is free, however you can pay for templates etc if you don't want to do a lot of the work yourself. Typical Domain name costs are around $9.95 p/a, Hosting that provides between 2 to 5 Gb storage (my site is currently using less than 1 Gb) should be in the range of $20 to $60 p/a. You can get cheaper host overseas, but my experience is that they don't give the customer service provided by the smaller local firms. Have a look at some different member sites and compare them. I think if you just go the easy route you are potentially doing your images a disservice. Why go to all the trouble of creating great images only to present them in the fashion that does not do them justice.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

...And add a few glasses of port and your creative side will be in flames too.
    I've tried that - not a good idea
    You're right about being able to learn it etc - i think for me it's more the time poor factor. I just can't add another thing to learn on my plate and would rather pay someone who knows what they are doing. My new website for work is finished except for me getting the time to add the content! Very frustrated by it all at the moment!
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    Please ask

$700 for a single page website! Seems a bit steep to me, I'd have thought a decent IT person could knock one up in well under a day. The other thing to look out for is how they build it, depending on what they use it may be difficult for you to take over maintenance. Your other option is jalbum, they have hosting available for albums you build as well or you upload the galleries and attach to a home page you build. Still free for non commercial I believe.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Dale,

If you would like to take a look at my site, see what you think (I've recently redesigned it - not quite finished but you will see where it's going ), I could help you get started pretty cheaply.. or even put something together for you should you wish. I use Wordpress, the biggest blogging/site software out there, it's free and amazing. Very easy to update/post images/articles once you're up and running.

Feel free to drop me a line should you wish to discuss further mate

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I designed and put it together in Dreamweaver
    I hate Dreamweaver with a passion!

I know that doesn't help you Dale but...following this thread with a lot of interest!
    "The moment a little boy is concerned with which is a jay and which is a sparrow, he can no longer see the birds or hear them sing." Eric Berne

Australian Life List: 156 (Brown-headed Honeyeater) | Wordpress | Flickr

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

You could try freelancer.com , or some other international freelancer site. Very cheap rates and you dont pay till you're satisfied. Not a recommendation, just something for you to consider.

Cheers
    Arron