Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Sunscreen off camera back - how to??

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default Keeping Sunscreen off camera back - how to??

Hi all
    Maybe a bit of a silly question , but how do you go about shooting with a face covered in sunscreen?
    So far, I've avoided the sun where possible - being in shade, shooting early/late, wearing a hat, but want to get out into more open places where slip slop slapping is a must.
    With all the buttons, switches and screens on the cameras nowadays (in the old film times that area was just the film door, and I used to smear my old F3 and F4's without much of a concern...), I'm guessing smearing is unavoidable.
    How do you clean it off??

Thanks
    John

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

If you shoot within 2-3 hours of sunrise and sunset AND wear a hat your need for sunscreen is minimal. This should be so in Australia's southern states, at any rate. Many skin-toned, non-greasy make-ups available these days has a high SPF factor. They would do less damage to you gear.
    Margaret Leggoe
    Never too old to learn.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

You could try the gel sunscreens, which are alchohol based, I normally don't use sunscreen on my face unless I'll be out for a long time, relying on a hat. I personally think this avoid all sun campaign is a bit over the top, I know people who have told me they apply sunscreen religiously every day no matter what they were planning on doing. The concern is we already have one chemical previously used in sunscreens - PABA, that has been implicated in health issues, which chemical will be next? The Key is do not get burnt, I don't worry about incidental exposure.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I prefer to cover up rather than use sunscreens also, i always think of the farmers/cattle/sheepmen i briefly worked for as a jackaroo as a kid in central qld ... on hot days ..decent brimmed hat, old long sleeved light coloured lightweight cotton business shirts, collar up at all times, trousers .. but then no camo business shirts? damn .. birds laugh at me! only thing with hats i dont like, is your spatial perceptions arent as good i think ... cant hear/detect birds quite as well ect.
    ... yes i also read that some sunscreens are highly suspected of actually increasing melanoma's!

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The other aspect to this is that we do need some (limited) exposure to sun for vitamin E absorption as we need this for strong bones and muscles. I do stress limited as I have looked after people with melanomas as a nurse, but low vitamin E levels and the consequences of this are also a medical problem, especially as we get older. Insect repellant can cause issues with cameras too. I used one containing DEET when in the N.T. several years ago and it removed the coating on my glasses, so this is something else to consider when photographing near water particularly.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I was in the building game for 42 years and never used sun screen .( Just as well, as now they reckon it could do you more harm than not using it.. ) As RS said, long sleeve shirt and wide brim hat is the go. I did use a repellent against sand flies , and the instructions stated very clearly not to get it on plastics, ie, sunglasses and camera's. Just be careful when using any of the products.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they come up with some great ideas..

Cheers Rev.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Bushmans, Rid, Aerogard all contain DEET (diethyltoluamide) at various concentrations which will soften and damage a range of plastic materials. In my opinion the spray products are probably the safest to use as they are less likely to be transferred from you to your camera. Likewise if you use a sunscreen on your face or hands make sure it is a non oily 'dry' type
    Richard Jackson
    http://www.owlphotographer.com/
    your comments and suggestions are welcomed

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for the tips. Gee, I'm not sure the Cancer Council would be so happy reading some of the replies...
    Agree that sunscreens may not be so good health-wise, so I think I'll stick to the hat/long shirt method.
    I wasn't aware of the nasty plastic eating chemicals in repellants, so am going to stay away from them!!!
    I grew up in the '70s being out in the sun most days (no internet in those days...), and the sunscreening thing didn't really start up till the mid '80s, so if anything's happened to me sun-wise its yet to show up!!
    I like the big straw sunhats, excepting the brim bashes into the tripod when I'm lugging it around, and into the top of the camera. As Rising said, the hats can take the edge off awareness out in the field, 'specially when its in the corner of your vision...
    John

Image Reposts
    Please ask

When I wear zinc I do get some on the back of the camera, I just wipe it off with a soft cloth. I find it necessary to put sunscreen on my face even though I wear a hat, the reflective light is still enough to burn me. Also quite often when the sun is lower even a decent brim is not enough to keep it off your face. From my reading the evidence is pretty heavily in favour of using sunscreen to avoid damage from UV against potential health issues from the products themselves. I wear long sleeve stuff so I only have to put it on my face and hands.

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I use it on my face and just wipe it off the camera.Pretty basic really.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

As I said the key is not to get burnt, I believe the jury is still out on sunscreens, just look at PABA, I used sunscreens with that in it when I was a kid, now it's banned, this wikipedia article seems well balanced:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen_controversy

I only use sunscreen when I know I'll be outside long enough to get burnt and often just rely on a hat. If you get burnt even with a hat on I'm not suggesting not to use sunscreens and zinc seems to not as much of a problem. The issue I have with the current scare campaigns is that a lot of people believe them, with people getting vitamin D deficiencies and I personally know people who put SPF30 on every morning no matter what they are planning to do that day, summer and winter.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoss View Post
    As I said the key is not to get burnt, I believe the jury is still out on sunscreens, just look at PABA, I used sunscreens with that in it when I was a kid, now it's banned, this wikipedia article seems well balanced:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen_controversy

I only use sunscreen when I know I'll be outside long enough to get burnt and often just rely on a hat. If you get burnt even with a hat on I'm not suggesting not to use sunscreens and zinc seems to not as much of a problem. The issue I have with the current scare campaigns is that a lot of people believe them, with people getting vitamin D deficiencies and I personally know people who put SPF30 on every morning no matter what they are planning to do that day, summer and winter.
    You are spot on Chris. I now have Vitamin D deficiency from excessive use of sunscreen for the past year after getting a skin cancer removed!
    Richard Jackson
    http://www.owlphotographer.com/
    your comments and suggestions are welcomed

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm not a huge wearer of sunscreen, if I know I'm going to be out in the sun all day such as swimming at the beach, or short sleeves at the cricket all day etc, I definitely put it on and reapply, otherwise I am going to get burned. Otherwise, when I'm out walking, I'm always wearing pants to prevent scratches and bites anyway, I wear a hat, and short sleeves. I find my arms don't burn, probably because they're the thing most often exposed. And since I'm often walking at the times of day when the sun is at it's least intense, early morning and evening, it's not as big of a problem as it is at say midday. Unfortunately I find wearing big hats annoying, because they block my field of vision, so I have one with a short, soft front on it that does enough to block the sun from my eyes and if I knock it against my camera, it just folds in, unlike the stiff baseball cap fronts.
    Reposts welcome =)

Blog- Close Encounters of the Bird Kind. Updated 28/05/2014 "Courting Cuckoos"

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Maybe try a gillie suit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120128-DSC_6258.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	16786
    Cheers, Matt
    My basic work flow includes: Light, colour and detail in Canon DPP, selective sharpening, composition, resizing in Adobe Photoshop CC
    Instagram | Website | flickr

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

Just finished reading the problems page of the Cars Guide in the Melbourne Herald - Sun. Someone wrote in wondering why their 2010 model Volkswagon Tiguan has developed large white patches on its paintwork. It turns out that they were caused by titanium dioxide which has been used in sunscreen for the past 4 years. We put this stuff on our skin!
    Regards Keith
    Last edited by Keith & Judy Humphreys; 10-03-2012 at 01:53 PM.

.Our land abounds in Nature's gifts. Of beauty rich and rare.

Life list total (seen by both of us) = 440 Latest addition Tawny Grassbird Ritamada Point QLD.