Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New camera options: Who has full frame?

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Default New camera options: Who has full frame?

Ahoi,

Having repeatedly soaked my camera in tropical Malagasy storms in the past month, it finally had some issues. The flash hot shoe stopped working and I had to resort to using the Nikon Creative Lighting System to trigger my flashes (what I do most of the time). If i had a Canon, this option would not have been open to me with one week left to go in the forests of Madagascar.
    Given the repeated hammering I've given this camera I'm amazed it's taken this long for something to go wrong. In PNG, North Qld, Nth NSW, The Kimberley, The Pilbara and everywhere in between this camera has been soaked with rain, dust and ultra high humidity with little on going affects.

Anyway, I'm not just reporting that the camera's been good. in the near future the D300 will be superseded (presumably by a D400) and the full frame semi-pro camera, the D700, will be superseded as well. Given my camera is starting to show signs of the use it's recieved, I was thinking about a new body...

My question is this. How many of the photographers here use a full frame camera. I know quite a few use the pro models (1D Mk3 or D3/D4) but is there an undeniable advantage? Are the autofocus and noise levels that superior in this high end models to warrant sacrificing the little bit closer the 1.5x crop gets you? Is it worth the several thousand dollars more you pay for one of those cameras?

Opinions and advice please!
    Cheers,
    H

https://twitter.com/Manic_Henry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54876436@N08/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I do not own a FF camera and can only comment on Canon cams, but here are my thoughts nonetheless.

In the Canon camp, at the moment the only (current) FF camera is the 5D mk II and 1Ds, both of which are now starting to show their age a bit. The new 1Dx is a FF and looks like it will be an excellent camera, albeit at a price.

Whether or not there is a marked advantage between FF and crop cams all comes down to the individual and what they want out of the camera. If you are going to use your camera mainly to photograph wildlife, I personally think the little extra "reach" the crop cameras provide is worth the extra noise - which with todays software can be fairly easily rectified in PP providing you are not shooting at enormously high ISOs. A cam like the 7D has autofocus which rivals that of the higher end cameras, but comes with the trade off of extra noise. If, however, you will be taking many photographs in dark conditions using natural light rather than flash, then the advantage will lie in the FF cams or the high end crop cams like the 1D4. The next question is are you happy with the lenses you currently own, or would you like something with more reach, something faster, or both?

I own the 7D (1.6x) and the 1D Mk4 (1.3x) and of course have no reservations in saying the 1D4 is the better camera, but is it worth the extra $3,000-4,000 over the 7D? If you already have the lenses you want/need and have the money to burn, then yes. But if not, I personally would go for the 1.6 or 1.5 cropped cams and use the money you save to put towards a lens - the lens is the part where you don't want to be sacrificing for the sake of a better camera body which, after a few years, will be outdated regardless.

Probably does not answer your question much as it is very much personal opinion - it is one of those questions where you will get a different answer from every person you ask.
    Aust. Life List (IOC) - 315 (Rufous Owl- 11/09/2014)
    Dale Mengel Photography - a work in progress!
    Follow me on Facebook
    Check out my Birding Blog

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Thanks for your input Dale.
    I've put off spending much on my gear for quite a while, I think it's time I finally did get some really nice gear. I'd love Nikon to release an equivalent of the 1Dmk4.

-H
    Cheers,
    H

https://twitter.com/Manic_Henry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54876436@N08/

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Unfortunately, with the announcement of the 1dx, I think Canon too is looking at getting rid of the 1.3x crop cameras which is a shame as I thought those cameras offered the best balance between "reach" and noise. But unfortunately, wildlife photography is only a small niche in the market

Nikon has some excellent bodies as well, so I don't think you would be dissappointed with the final purchase, so long as you have a nice lens to throw on the front

Good luck with the decision and purchase, Henry! Hope to see some photos with the new kit
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Have you seen the new Nikon D4 Henry? Looks pretty good!
    To be honest if you have a better quality image that you are able to crop more then the "extra reach" of the smaller sensors is irrelevant. You are basically cropping the field of the lens at some point either by the sensor or in PS. I know Canon have moved away from the crop sensors and even more megapixels because they wanted to get the best image quality that they possibly could. If you have an awesome image file then a bit of cropping won't matter. I haven't noticed going from 1.6X to 1.3X bodies because theIQ was so much better in the mk4.
    The big advantages the pro bodies give you Henry (which might be worth it given what you do to your bodies) is the weather sealing and robustness. I can shoot in the rain without issues with the mk4. (except water on the lens element of course!). Also the shutters are rated at higher cycles so will last longer. Often hard to justify the extra cost on this alone but i reckon its worth it if you are in bad conditions alot as you seem to be

PS - might be a while but when i can afford it i know i will get a 1Dx - although for me this makes more sense as I use it both for weddings etc and wildlife
    Cheers, Dave

www.davidstowe.com.au WORKSHOPS

Aus Life List IOC= 684 - Grey Honeyeater
    "So God created every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:21

Image Reposts
    No, don't edit

I have a D700 and the biggest advantage is I get my wide angles back.The long lens side off things is not as great as with my old D200 but growing up on 35mm,things are back to what I was used to.The noise is well handled in the D700.Don't really know if thats a result of the bigger sensor or just the new technology.I reckon though,the bigger the better.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

Ditto with Geoff, I'm a d700 user. Never owned a DX camera, so don't know how different a FF is compared to a DX, but went for FF as I was a 35mm shooter in the old film days, so sticking with what I know...using wideangles is easier on FF's; you get the full expanse. At the tele end, the pixels are laid out over a bigger area; not as squashed together, so I'd guess that helps in the noise department; d700 is pretty good on noise. Ok, so the tele lenses don't 'reach' as far as DX, but I'm used to it, and I wouldn't give up my 14-24's width to get more tele reach.
    Still, the camera is just a box on the end; the lenses are the most important thing to have sorted. I want the d700 to be superceded ASAP so I can pick up a cheapie to modify for Infrared work.....

Cheers
    John

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

If you have the option then I would recommend full frame (I use a 5D mkI). As Dave noted, the "extra reach" of any crop sensor is irrelevant and you can always crop in yourself after the shutter is released. The pressure to get the image right "full frame" is greatly eased and its better to be just that little bit further away rather than being too close (clipped wings, awkward compositions etc etc )

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm not in a too dissimilar situation, though unless Nikon depart greatly from the predicted upgrade path I will be getting a D400 when it finally comes out. Currently I have a D300 and D7000 with the D7000 being my preferred body due to the better image files. For me it comes down to the number of pixels I can get on the subject and the quality of the pixels. I'll wait to the D400 is released and do see how it measures up. Have a look at this thread on BPN http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...Canon-EOS-1D-x. Its may also be worth visiting Roger Clark website for a more in depth look at this topic.

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I'm keeping my eyes out for a good used 5D MK II, once the MK II is released, rumoured to be in Feb/March this year. Hopefully gear heads will be offloading a MK II on the cheap!

Image Reposts
    Please ask

And here i have been thinking of selling off all my Pentax gear(quite a bit) to fund a 7D as a second body to back the 5D2 which i'm quite pleased with.Actually i really like my Pentax also but in truth i find i cant quite get the reach i want with the 5D2 for Birding and have to crop heavilly at times losing detail in the capture.
    Could quite well be my lack of experience too ey. But i have at times gotten what i thought to be quite close to my subject to find i still needed more reach out of my Camera.
    With the 5D2 its said that you HAVE to fill or near fill the frame to get the detail whera's witht he 7D you get the extra reach but at the cost of extra noise which you would do get anyway with the 5D2 if you have to crop heavilly and as we know certain amount of nopise can be removed with software..
    Should i still persue the 7D or am i rushing it too soon and should i keep trying to get better at using the 5D2 for Birding??...
    After reading this post i'm a tad confused lol...
    Would be nice to be able to hire a 7D body locally for a week or so to make a comparison personally with both bodies at same subjects and sistances ey??..

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

The 7D will beat the 5D Mk II in terms of AF and the 7D will give you that little bit of extra "reach", but for out and out image quality the 5D Mk II will obviously be the better choice. What lens are you currently using? Given you already have the 5D, it is probably better to practice better stalking techniques, use a hide, or buy a lens with more reach (although if you have the 400, then you'd have to spend big dollars to get extra reach of good quality). I personally wouldnt waste the $2000+ and would put to towards a lens; unless you really want/need a back up camera
    Follow me on Facebook

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I think the reach is a little bit theoretical with the 7D, as you start to crop the noise becomes a bit more significant, you'll certainly get more pixels but the quality of the pixels is not as good. When you crop a 5D down to 7D sensor dimensions you get an 8MP image which is still pretty good. It's probably a wash between the noise vs the extra pixels, maybe an edge to the 7D with newer generation pixels.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I mainly use a 7D but have limited experience with other SLRs. I find that with bird photography in particular, the ability of the 7D to shoot at 8 frames per second is often an advantage. I have no experience of the 5D or any other FF digital camera but I think I would find 3.9fps frustrating at times especially with the smaller flighty birds which are often in continual motion.

Wondering what others think about the importance of frames per second in making the choice?

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Frames per second is a nice to have for me, I used to use high speed drive on my MkIIn all the time, but I generally use single shot these days. I got sick of sifting through so many files to cull them down.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages