Thread: Flash Extenders

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Default Flash Extenders

How popullar is using flash for Birding and Flash extenders at that??..
    Cheers

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I use it quite a bit, the only exception being with birds that are out in the open within an hour of surise/set. The key is to adjust the fill ratio to your needs, -1 2/3 is a good starting point, more fill for a bird in bright harsh sunlight or to deal with strong shadows etc. The flash extender gives you more range and also improves recyle times when you don't need the range. Getting the flash off camera helps with "steel eye" reflections off the eye.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

I use my external flash all the time. As Chris mentions above, the key is to adjust the flash output as required to ensure best results.

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Make your own or purchase??

Image Reposts
    Please ask

I know the postage is a killer but I couldn't see making something as convenient as the better beamer, but, get a spare lens when you order! I tend to save up so to speak and get a bunch of stuff when ordering from overseas. Shop around to see where you can get the best deal on a BB plus bracket plus postage. You also need the right fresnel, which may be difficult to source??

Also be careful they are capable of burning a hole in your flash if you face them into the sun, you do need to aware of where they are pointing at all times, take the lens off if you are moving.
    Chris Ross
    Helensburgh NSW
    www.aus-natural.com
    Instagram: @ausnaturalimages

Image Reposts
    Yes, with details

This guy in the states swears by them, and puts up a great case as to why.

http://digitalbirdphotography.com/4.3.html

Personally, I try to not use flash if possible. Have noticed birds flinch/fly a few times. When I'm after Lyrebirds, I could well do with one, but not yet confident that I won't scare off the birds by flashing them in the dark undergrowth....ironic in that that's the best situation to use a flash - but it'd be set pretty bright to overcome the gloom...Using to fill shadows on sunny/contrasty days isn't so much of a problem, as the light output is less, and the sun's already there.
    I use a Nikon SB 700 on camera, and so far it covers all the range I need. As Chris has mentioned, you need to set at least -1 2/3 stop under to keep the light subtle for daylight fill, and the few times I have shot at night, I just have it at standard. It'll depend on your setup.

Cheers
    John

Image Reposts
    Please ask

Thanks to all for the feedback, just ordered some fresnel/magnifying sheet and will have a crack at making my own just for the fun of it and ifd it turns out i need one or use it often for daylight fill mainly well then i will purchase something more professional though unless mistaken i dont see all that much in them where'as one couldnt make their own ey??..
    have read that they can burn a hole in you flash head and thats understandable ey..
    Mainly wanted one for fill in when taking a pic of a Bird under tree canopy and light isnt so bright..
    Anyway see how it goes as less amount of gear needed to carry the better i gues it would be..